• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

need advice about choosing certification

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manoj9372
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: need advice about choosing certification Reply with quote

I am doing final year b.tech(IT) ,My ambition is to get a job in networking field probably willing to become junior administrator in a company,I am planning to do some certifications to improve my qualification for getting job,In my mind 3 courses comes first CCNA,ETHICAL HACKING and a course conducted by SANS BOUND(A local institution) specially for becoming administrator ,in that they will teach some selected thing's from ccna,mcse,routing,fire-walls but i am not sure about the 3rd course,because as it is conducted by the local institution i am not sure about the quality of the course,what should i do?
or do i need to join some other courses?
please share your experience and give me some useful advice...
prateek-sri
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in india , one becoming a network admin directly (even junior) is not very often seen .. as the jobs require nice and neat experience one have to start from level 1 .. as help desk support n then gaining the confidence of higher emplys .. and you have to have both the skills of a system admin and network admin.. u can have mcse/mcitp for systm admin or can go for red hat and u also have to shw your ability toward physical aspects of netwrk .. so you are expected to have ccna or other certification(such as juniper's... but cisco track is very demanding in india )
jhonas
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey if you wants to go in networking field then choose mcse and ccna first. In delhi there are many institutes for networking like jetking, ICEI and after completed ccna i refer you to join upper part of ccna that is ccnp course.
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in specializing in networking and you like Cisco, the only route to go is CCxx, likely starting with the CCNA. While some networking jobs require other skills, especially ones at smaller businesses, at this stage in your career it doesn't really make sense to pursue a MCSE/MCITP as they are very involved and don't specifically apply to a network administrators role.

I realize the title "Network Administrator" often can mean anything from Help Desk, to Windows admin to Cisco guy; I assume however that you are interested in the role of supporting network devices. The ethical hacking course also doesn't really apply to the role of supporting network devices. If you are more interested in a general IT role, than you may want to start out with a Microsoft cert, or possibly a CompTIA cert. The Network + may be a good one for you.

There are lots of options, and as you can probably tell, you need to decide what type of technology you want to work with, and then you can pursue a certification that is geared to said technology.
sarahmorgan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi manoj9372,

It really depends on what you exactly want from your plan or the course(s) you want to join. If you want self-study there are many various books and websites. For example, before any CCNA accreditation, an ideal book to read would be, Mike Meyers's CompTIA Network+ Certification Passport (3rd ed.). Some jobs do require just a ComptiA+ and a CCNA maybe a later requirement as your skills need upgrading. ISBN: 9780071615303. But if you are considering classroom based courses and pathway, Firebrand Training (formerly the Training) provides IT Network certification curriculum.

I hope this helps with your concern, good LUCK!
manoj9372
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: hhhmm Reply with quote

I am a bit confused now,as my college life is gonna end on next 5 months,
I am really wanted to get in to the IT security field,but I know i need to have some working experience in network administration ranging from desktop support to network administrator,But TBH i am sick of microsoft related certificates,because I personally feel,i can not learn any thing new in that,
Before some months i started to learn mcse of my own with the help of CBT videos,All i found in those kind of course was "go to this menu","click next","choose this and remove that",i am personally annoyed of this kind of stuff,I am really much more interested in learning new things or new concepts like the one in CCNA COURSE,but i am not sure my feeling was right or wrong,I am wondering how guys like you coped with these kind of situation on your early part of the life,...

I am confused a lot.... and also i don't know my thinking was correct or not Question

if possible please give me some guidance... Shocked
rozeny2k
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: My experience Reply with quote

Choose cisco networking certifications,first of all start at entry level CCDE and then go for CCNA,but it will be more nice if you start ccna directly,and after ccna do advanced level CCA
OliviaSSLGuru
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Need advice about choosing certification Reply with quote

Hii,
You have a good idea in your mind - atleast you are clear what you have to do-, but if you choose to become an administrator then dont expect a 5 figure salary from the beginning. You will have to start from the scratch even if you have a good degree in hand. Otherwise its a budding field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: