• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Urgent Mouse help reqd!

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plug
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Urgent Mouse help reqd! Reply with quote

I'm selling my computer in the morning, and I don't want to give them my USB optical mouse which I love, so I bought a cheap PS1 mouse. However, I can't get it to work. I've installed the software which came on floppy (even though I didn't think I'd need to), and uninstalled the driver for the optical mouse. Nothing. Windows (XP) just doesn't see the mouse. As soon as I plug my PS/2 mouse in, it works straight away. I really want to keep this optical mouse, but I'll have to give them it if the other one doesn't work.HELP!
hads
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory you are right, plug it in and boot up and it should be fine. Right click My Computer, go to properties and hardware and check in the device manager to see if the mouse is listed in there, or if you have any conflicts (little yellow dots).
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hads wrote:
In theory you are right, plug it in and boot up and it should be fine. Right click My Computer, go to properties and hardware and check in the device manager to see if the mouse is listed in there, or if you have any conflicts (little yellow dots).

LOL

I find this funny as if the mouse is not working how are you supposed to right click ;p

But anyway all correct.

Totally unistall the optical mouse, turn the computer totally off, plug the ps/2 mouse in (the mouse hole not the keyboard hole) boot up and if it doesn't show up either a) the port is faulty or b) the mouse is faulty (more likely).

See if you can borrow a PS/2 mouse from someone to test.

Shaolin
Plug
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies. I got a stay of execution, I've got until monday morning now!
I've done all of the above, and it looks like a ps/2 port problem, as I borrowed another mouse and it does the same.
BUT...when I uninstall the usb mouse I go into device manage and uninstall it, reboot using the keyboard then plug in the usb mouse, it works instantly. I don't get "Windows has found new hardware" or anything, so am I really uninstalling it? I'm using the Win XP drivers for it,
not the disc that came with it.
MR2
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be in your BIOS setting can change the PS/2 connection.

I have a PS/2 Mouse Function option in there with my motherboard.

Other than that, just buy a cheap USB mouse as replacement!

Hope this helps. Confused
Plug
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you believe it? A mouse that worked previously for months, and a brand new mouse, both knackered! Bought new cheapo mouse and everything's rosy, cheers. Embarassed

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: