• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

E-mail encryption

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NutterL
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: E-mail encryption Reply with quote

Hello. I'm new here and have a problem.

We are a medical transcription company and have the need to send completed work via encrypted e-mail. I've done a lot of research on the Net and am confused as to our options based on our company's individual needs.

The company is comprised of the owner and remote transcriptionists in various locations. Our work consists of many individual documents stored in one folder. This folder must be transmitted to the owner's computer each day. We have been transmitting the work via telephone modem and PCAnywhere, which is secure; however, the owner's modem often crashes and she has to reboot and that has become annoying to her.

I have experience with Hypersend, but that only transmits individual files. I also have an older version of PGP that will transmit encrypted folders, but it won't run on a computer running anything higher than MS 2000, so that's not going to work.

The owner wants something easy to use and set up, does not want to pay a monthly fee for a service, and is not exactly computer literate to be involved in anything too complicated.

I've found Cypherix, but I'm afraid they may be out of business. I know PGP can be downloaded from the Net, but I'm unclear as to whether that has to be run through Outlook, which probably won't be an option as they will all have issues with setting that up, and I'm also unclear as to whether PGP will still transmit encrypted folders not individual documents. Much of the e-mail encryption I've found will only transmit individual documents, not folders. I've also found web-based e-mail services, but there is a question about how secure they really are, we have to be HIPAA compliant, and the amount of storage on their servers. Also, it probably won't fly because it will be extra steps for the owner to retrieve the e-mails on her end.

In summary, based on the above, are there any good, relatively easy options out there for us for sending encrypted e-mails?

Thanks for your help. Nutter
ufinadv
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat. I am new to encryption, but have done a bit of reading. I'm looking for a way to send a few files to clients who do not have a large amount of encryption experience. I place a much larger emphasis on ease of use than on susceptibility to brute force or similar attacks. Does anybody have any ideas or links they could send my way?
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend you trying PGP Desktop. This will allow people to:
Encrypt email including Outlook on Windows
Encrypt files
Encrypt network shares (NetShare)
Encrypted Zips
plus many more.

It will cost because its not free but I think it ticks your boxes. You should be able to find a 30day eval out there.
ChadAmberg
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you may want to try is the new Live Mesh product: http://mesh.com
It's cloud computing and all that. But the key is you could create a shared mesh folder for each of your transcriptionists and it will replicate in the background out to their computers, and will replicate all changes back to you.

I'm not sure on the encryption method used, but you may want to check it out, especially since its free.
lawrencehayden
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E-mail protection is the phrase for protection, and often confirmation, of information, which can be done in order to protected the material from being analysis by unique people. Engineering for e-mail is available, but has not acquired comprehensive implementing, probably due to community factors. According to a analysis launched by Forrester Research in Jan 2012, 33% of organizations have used e-mail encryption

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: