• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Virus damaged computer

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cctster
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Virus damaged computer Reply with quote

Hi,

Just removed 688 malwarebytes instances including mywebsearch, fake alert, and various others.

It had AVG 7.5 Free and so I uninstalled that and tried to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2012. However it would not install because the computer was not up to Windows XP SP2, (It is actually Win XP SP1). I tried to update but the Internet Explorer just kept having loads of scripting errors and even when I downloaded the full version opf SP2 through firefox, SP2 could not install due to "Access being denied".
Could this be as a result of damage done by the bad guys?
I've tried running sfc /scannow on the command line and resetting IE to default settings but still no joy.

Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running malwarebytes again to see if there are still some bad guys left. Will post a log if one is produced.

Regards,

Neil
Mongrel
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cctster,

Please forgive the slow reply. We no longer have the resources to assist in troubleshooting and removing malware. We have excellent relations with another very highly rated forum where some of our team migrated. Please see the announcement HERE for more information.

FWIW the last time my machine was so toasted I wiped it clean and reinstalled from original media. As a professional in the field and frequently testing the limits I have bitten the bullet and taken that difficult path many times.

At least you will have a learning experience from it.

Please visit our friends first.

I have used another as yet untested forum for these issues and they seem to be quite well equipped. We have no formal relationship there (to my knowledge) but they seem thorough.

Mongrel
cctster
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Hello Mongrel Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,

It's been a while since I posted anything on securityforums.com so I did find it a little strange that no one replied for a while, but as it happens I managed to get hold of the recovery media and wiped the hard drive to start again. Sorry to hear that you lost one of the anti malware team. I'll check out Bleepingcomputer should I require advice in the future, I already have used that site on one or two occasions.

Regards,

Neil Harland
maggiethomas
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to install XP SP3 then after that install kaspersky which is the most good anti virus software in my point of view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: