• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

How to limit simultaneous logins in Windows 2000

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindowsSecurity

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject: How to limit simultaneous logins in Windows 2000 Reply with quote

I am running Citrix/Terminal Services on a Win2K server. I need to limit user logins so that a user can only login once with a given login ID. Once that user logs out, another user can login in with the same ID, but two users cannot login using the same ID at the same time.

Is this possible?

I've heard something about CCONNECT from the resource kit, but I don't really know much about that.

Thanks.
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there is a setting in Windows 2000 Terminal Services that will allow you this type of control, however, I don't know much about Citrix. Perhaps they have this type of control.

Can anyone enlighten me on either of these points?

BRasCO maybe, he has his fair share of experience in Term Services Wink

CCONNECT should work with Terminal Services, though to be honest, I've never used it for that purpose.

It's generally just used to make sure that each user can only log on at 1 workstation (stops people sharing logins, hogging multiple machines etc)

A kind of gay solution would be to:

1. Create a share on a server.
2. Limit the maximum number of connections to the share to 1.
3. Create a logon script for the TS user id that maps a drive to the share, and checks to make sure that the mapping is successful. If it is not successful, log the user out.

Some of the Resource Kit tools are available for download, though I don't think CCONNECT is one of them. Check http://www.reskit.com.
Mongrel
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always create just one user and give only one station (presumably yours) the rights to login under that account.

User Manager, Account
TheKingster
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haknwak is right.

Citrix you cannot do this although I haven't looked into all versions of Metaframe, but all Citrix is is a virtual desktop session to the Citrix server, that logs into a main server, so if you go into Active Directory, goto the accounts tab, and then the logon button, and select only one workstation that that user will be using.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: