• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Log apps that call IE dll

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
morongo
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Log apps that call IE dll Reply with quote

I use firefox exclusively, have IE-access disabled. However, that just disables desktop-access so that any apps that use IE (dll) can still function.

I also use CCleaner to delete temp files, cookies, etc., do this every night before retiring.

I run my machine all night to provide streaming radio (via FF) and run CC again every morning.

I've noticed that Internet Explorer files are usually between 2M and 4M when doing my morning CC run, I'd like to know which apps are calling into IE to produce these temporary internet files.

Something like an IE DLL proxy that I could use to generate a log-file specific to IE would be perfect (preferably source-code), does anyone have any suggestions?
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF and IE both use different ranges of source ports. IE is 1026 to 4999 if memory serves. Bearing that in mind you could fire up a windump session before retiring. You would only log outbound packets within that range. This would be a way of seeing what IE is doing though not necessarily what is calling it.
morongo
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A belated thanks, Don (didn't get an email indicating a response).

The temp files are pretty innocuous, webpages that came through the various web-players.

I run a javascript scheduler to change stations at pre-appointed times, open all the links in a hidden iframe rather than using webaudio because some streams are only available through a player (I've tried sniffing them with Live http Headers, but they're player dependent).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: