• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

How secure is PGP?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinT
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: PGP-related sites I came upon... Reply with quote

Moira, I came across an old bookmarked site, by Sam Simpson, related to PGP, that you may find of interest. It consists of a FAQ dedicated to the utilization of Diffie-Hellman VS. RSA within PGP. In the process of doing so, it reviews most of the core algorithms within PGP, with side notes on their security, in solitaire or in juxtaposition with other algorithms. Overall, it is quite extensive, so I'll not spoil it with a cheap overview. :]

Sam Simpon's PGP DH vs. PGP RSA FAQ - http://www.samsimpson.com/pgpfaq.html

Also, another PGP guru, Tom McCune, who was among the many that contributed to Sam's FAQ, has put together yet another juggernaut-of-a-PGP-related site, of which you can view, here: http://www.mccune.cc/PGP.htm

Hope these links are beneficial to you or another of which you'd like to pass them along to.

Best regards,

Justin
MoiraA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin, thanks! I'm on the point of departing for a weekend away from civilisation where there isn't even electricity, so will read properly when I get back!

From a quick look, there seems to be plenty of interesting stuff to get stuck into over the next few days, and I've also emailed the page to Eddie.

Cheers

Moira
JustinT
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Livin' it Amish-style... Reply with quote

MoiraA wrote:
Justin, thanks! I'm on the point of departing for a weekend away from civilisation where there isn't even electricity, so will read properly when I get back!

From a quick look, there seems to be plenty of interesting stuff to get stuck into over the next few days, and I've also emailed the page to Eddie.

Cheers

Moira

Ah, no electricity, eh? That's always peaceful. Brings life into a new perspective.

Hope you have a great time and look forward to talking again when you return!

Take care.
offradarencrypted
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"public-key algorithms are susceptible to chosen-plaintext
attacks. If C=E(P) and n denotes a set of plaintexts, consider that
an analyst only has to encrypt this set and compare this with C,
as P belongs in that set. Now, you won't be able to determine the
decryption key with this attack, but you can recover P. To solve
this potentially serious problem, you can pad messages with random data, which causes identical messages to encrypt to different ciphertexts. "
http://screamingelectron.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-96.html

How much padding is really needed?
and where would that padding go if the below text were the entire message?

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

hIwDY32hYGCE8MkBA/wOu7d45aUxF4Q0RKJprD3v5Z9K1YcRJ2fve87lMlDlx4Oj eW4GDdBfLbJE7VUpp13N19GL8e/AqbyyjHH4aS0YoTk10QQ9nnRvjY8nZL3MPXSZ g9VGQxFeGqzykzmykU6A26MSMexR4ApeeON6xzZWfo+0yOqAq6lb46wsvldZ96YA AABH78hyX7YX4uT1tNCWEIIBoqqvCeIMpp7UQ2IzBrXg6GtukS8NxbukLeamqVW3
1yt21DYOjuLzcMNe/JNsD9vDVCvOOG3OCi8=
=zzaA
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
Quote:
Quote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Cryptographic Software and Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: