• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

penetration testing

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt_B
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: penetration testing Reply with quote

While perusing the security jobs on the market now, I notcied that quite a few were mentioning penetration testing skills. Now, I know a bit about it, real basic actually. How much should one know about "hacking" before they could put penetration tesintg on a resume? How much hacking does penetration testing revolve around?
Does Penetration Testing = Ethical Hacking?
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pen testing = ethical hackers To become a pen tester your skills have to be very solid indeed. Knowledge of how to run Nessus does not make one a pen tester. Your core skills set imho must reside in programming with C as a foundation language. You have to be able to use ASM as well. In general pen testing is for the truly talented hacker. The one who knows how to disassemble a program find a flaw and exploit it with custom written code. These are the real pen testers. That is why they make truly awesome $$$ and are in high demand. Hope this answers your questions. Oh yeah by the way I am not a pen tester myself but know several of them.
Sgt_B
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! That's kind of what I thought. Just seems like it might be the most fun thing to do in the security field. Learning C is a bit out my reach right now. So I'll stick to running Nessus. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: