• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Why Did You (Want to) Get Certified?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CArmstrong
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Why Did You (Want to) Get Certified? Reply with quote

I want to get Security+ and A+ just to prove to myself that I'm worth something... right now I feel like all I do is sit here and IRC and surf.

I'm a high school student whose main hobby is computers, but who hopes to double major in English and Poli Sci, then Law.

So what's your story? Fun or occupation?

Mod Edit: moved from Security/Network Security Jobs forum - s3c
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently acquired A+, and it was a piece of cake I don't think it proves that much. Security+ is a little toucher, but still mediocer. Most of script kiddies can pass it with studing a little. RIght now I am working on CCNA, and it is like a 2 year college degree. SO that not so bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spyguy
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my GCIA back in 2000 and it was interesting. The certification process have evolved consinderably since then!

To stay on topic, I did it because of two things:
1) The job I had at the time (and continue to have, for that matter); and,
2) Interest in gaining credibility

It's the same thing with the CISSP. I don't feel that I need to prove anything to anybody WRT my skills, but it takes the alphabet soup behind your name sometimes just to get some HR drone to keep your resume, instead of putting it on the rejection pile. Because of this, I'm currently reviewing various resources (college notes, CISSP prep materials, etc.) to prepare myself for writing the exam.

In a nutshell, certification is about reconginition and credibility (IMNSHO) Wink
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delete852 when did you pick up your security +? Also how did you find the test on a basic knowledge of unix, netware, windex, routing, crypto, pki, vpn, ras/radius etc... and general security info?
cisspy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to everyone here, this is my first post hope I will have a good experience here. I am right now studying for ccna and starting my Bsc degree in Information system security. This is going to be a long journey. But fun one.
nard
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my answer is simple.
I dont have the cash to get a CISSP, my company is small and wont even pay for the exam.

Security+ looked the cheap alternative to prove a baseline of theory knowledge.
The exam objectives are quite broad but the exam itself sucked, questions are badly worded and focus on some lame areas rather than pure tech, if you know netsec you will pass.

I grabbed a NT4 MCSE back before the .com boom aged 20, simple reading of books and booking the exams myself.
The MS qualifications are watered down with lamers and kids that have littlle experiance and ego's that should not be let lose in a large network. dito for Cisco. I was one of these when I passed the MCSE. there is no replacement for experiance.

-Nard
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Irenaeus
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ccna i'm about to complete (semester 4 pre test 80% with no revision Smile) has been a bit of a joke, and it's not something i'm banking on getting me a good job.

theres a teacher learning in the same class as me, who knows fuck all, and so i've volunteered to help teach and get some experience. i set the practical exam tomorrow and make them do troubleshooting Twisted Evil

the person who is supposed to be teaching us doesn't even know alot of the stuff, the only way he gets away with it is because he knows a little more than everyone else and is a cunning git.

and in reply to the original question, i took the ccna cause i was bored, but after someone mentioned it in #security-forums, i really want to take the GCUX, onlt trouble is the damn things need to be renewed every 2 years, which is useless cause i'm not even in uni yet, so it'd be useless by the time i'm out Crying or Very sad
shakin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any certifications mainly because I am trying to boycott them. My boycott stems mostly because the idiot MCSEs I've had to work with have made me aware of how useless certification can be. By my own terms, I feel comfortable studying for the tests and taking some practice tests, but never going for the certification.

The flip side is that this may hurt me if I ever need to find another job where these skills are needed. Many, but not all, hiring managers see certs as proof of ability, which could not be further from the truth. I may end up trying for my RHCE if I can get my work to pay for it, but unfortunately the training budget was cut for this fiscal (July 1 - June 30), so it won't be until next summer at the earliest that they will pay for the tests or any training courses.

The golden rule is that certification isn't a replacement for experience.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastlawn, I didn't mean it that way, sometiems when I type, stuff from my head comes out, and not in every case it is properly formatted. I didn't take Security+, i ment that it is tougher to get. ANd I was considering it, and then decided to do Linux + instead.
Sorry for the confusion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mongrel
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My certs have always been work related and always been to enhance my
existing background. CNE in 1993 when I changed from drafting to pure
computer work and mist recently CISM (Certified Information Security
Manager) from ISACA (link HERE)
to attempt a change in career from systems/hardware into pure security.
I have already been doing most of the functions for over five years but
never put 2 + 2 to equal POSSIBLE NEW JOB.

Many threads on the subject here at SFDC but I won't defer there except
for further reading by those considering certification. They are spread
pretty widely so I made a nice sticky post HERE
as our one-stop first reference on certification discussions.

Last edited by Mongrel on Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: