• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Why do people want to hide their IP address?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Why do people want to hide their IP address? Reply with quote

I have noticed recently a lot of people coming to this site to ask how they can stop their IP address appearing in a website's logfile.

Out of curiosity can someone please explain to me why so people would want to do this and why so many people are asking about it?

Obviously if they wanted to rob a bank online it would make some sense, but i dont believe we have that many bank robber's here... so why do all the people who are not bank robbers want to hide their IP for casual surfing?

Does it really matter to people if their IP is on some weblog file? Do people just not understand or have a misconcetion about what an IP address is or what?

I understand the technical aspect's of it all, just not the human aspect Wink

Cheers,

Jason
InetSecurity
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computers, security, hackers, HACKING ........so on....

They love it, they wanna learn it, thinking that it's fun Razz ... using tools made to exploit computers, but they are afraid Crying or Very sad ,have read somewhere that they can HIDE Twisted Evil, but they're wrong Sad .......
he he
ncrawler
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly, when you enter "hacker" sites looking for "hacking tools", what do the apps ask you? Yep, the IP address of the victim/target.

Usually, if you use this programs (I've done it myself 5 or 6 years ago), you get the feeling that all a person needs to kick you out of the net, hack you or spam you is your IP address. Looking for some "security" they download a lot of "ip scrambles" and "stealth browsers", most of them containing infections (cirus, worms, trojans).

Oh, and the "stealth" feeling is powerful. As a friend told me when he first scrambled his IP from a website: "Hey, they don't know who am I, and neither what I am doying, so, I'll do something wrong, they'll never catch me."

If you ever study TCP/IP and Networking, you get rid of these false knowledge. Wink
Jason
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrawler wrote:
Mainly, when you enter "hacker" sites looking for "hacking tools", what do the apps ask you? Yep, the IP address of the victim/target.

If you ever study TCP/IP and Networking, you get rid of these false knowledge. Wink

So, what you are saying is it is just Uber Hackers and the totally ignorent/stupid that feel the need to do this sort of thing?

Makes sense i suppose.
ncrawler
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlambert wrote:

So, what you are saying is it is just Uber Hackers and the totally ignorent/stupid that feel the need to do this sort of thing?

Makes sense i suppose.

Its not just the hacker wannabes. People in general who don't have specific knowledge about networks (newbies) get this as the first information, and so, take it as truth. Some technicians around spread this information too.

Smile
InetSecurity
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, what the point of hiding yourself unless you want to do something wrong, and be ware of it too????

They don't have to be stupid/ignorants/wannabe , just don't know how the tuff works
scapermoya
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are very scared of being hacked! on AIM tell most people you know their IP address, and they freak out! the average persons idea of hacking is a little windows box you type an IP address into, and BAM!!! you see their desktop, files, emails, what they are doing, tax statements, personal letters, whatever. So if they ever run across an "IP Hider 3000.exe" they install it right away and feel all warm and fuzzy.
ignorence is bliss eh?
chinchill.^.
CHeeKY
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

end of the day you dont hack from your own box, you understand how to clean logs in every opsys, then why bother, something somewhere has your tag on it, no matter what you do, fact of life, you wnna hide yourself, then dont use yourself. Smile
scapermoya
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats why they invented SSH shells Cool
chinchill.^.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others about how people might think they are safe. I know alot of people who think since they have a firewall, they will be secure and unhackable!!
scapermoya
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats because of all the false claims made by companies to get you to buy their products. Once again, profit is more important than anything else. I guess thats why there are places like SFDC, so people can learn the realities of security.
chinchill.^.
CHeeKY
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

realities of security.
comes from not just SFDC but the fxp scene, scratch the surface and you will be shocked, finidng out how to bypass any layer 7 firewall is fun hehehe
viksit
SF Reviewer
SF Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i personally think that the mindset of average users has been moulded by tech-websites like zdnet and cnet.. iirc, they had some articles about 2/2 and a half years back on how you are traced using ip addresses. In fact, the site even had a geographical locator which told showed you a relative approximation of your location.

For a person, thats about the most fearful aspect of the internet..being pinpointed and then stalked about by oft-talked about predators!

(Am unsure about the sites' exactly, but it was a major one..)
Intervention
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think almost every 'hacker' wannabe goes though a stage where they wanna know about so-called 'ip spoofers' that magically scramble your address.

As for the kind of people that like anonimity, I'm definitely one of them, and hiding your IP with a bnc or cisco is invaluable if you use IRC a lot..
xiehung
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiBerOptiCx wrote:
I agree with the others about how people might think they are safe. I know alot of people who think since they have a firewall, they will be secure and unhackable!!

well, it may not make them unhackable .. but at least, if hackers wanna hack them, they will need to do some "work" in order to hack them ... In a way, it is just like putting a lock to your bike or house ... it forces the bad guys to put more effort to steal your stuff but doesn't mean that your bike will not be stolen ... so i guess, having a firewall or two isnt bad at all ... but i agree with you ... it isn't unhackable ..
Nofear
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

upon the subject of tracing ip to were they come from...
one program i find that is good is Neo Trace to get estimates of where they are located, although i aint a hacker, i do like to play a harmless joke on my friends now and then......

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: