• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Rating Certifications

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point that I made, and will make again here is that a h.r hack will more likely hire you if you are applying for a RH server based network. Which is here the RHCE comes in handy. The vast majority of initial resumes are first looked at by h.r and not the tech supervisor. Thereby my assertion that RH is still primarily aimed at RH servers stands ie: vendor specific, it says so on the site itself. This is aimed at RH, it does not say it is linux general. To you and some others linux is linux, but to some they get rather confused when presented with a different distro to manage such as Slack or Debian.
PhiBer
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that there are CERTS that are overrated, but again...this is to give an idea of "some" of the certs value, exam time, and rankings. Not a definitive "you will be payed this much money is you have this cert." This is just a rough cert examination paper.

Quote:
I have a CCNA, a CCDA and part of a CCNP (passed BSCI) exam, and NONE of those get any respect that I've seen.

Serious!? CCNP doesnt get much respect? All the CCNP people i've seen get respect, they are definitely not CCIE's but they are pretty knowledgeable from what i've seen. But then again, maybe its because ive seen good CCNP's and not paper ccnps?
EricTheBald
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhiBerOptiCx wrote:

Serious!? CCNP doesnt get much respect? All the CCNP people i've seen get respect, they are definitely not CCIE's but they are pretty knowledgeable from what i've seen. But then again, maybe its because ive seen good CCNP's and not paper ccnps?

There's no such thing as paper CCNPs.
You might find someone who is a CCNP and doesn't really know anything OTHER than Cisco, but he'll know the Cisco stuff better than any non-CCIE you're likely to come across.

The problem is the job market.

Aside from the fact that it's a buyer's market, you also have the problem that there are only a very few certs that even get recognition.
And I mean recognition in it's most basic sense.

CCIE? Sure, most people have heard of that.
MCSE? probably the best known cert on the market
RHCE? Starting to become known.

But anything else? there are two many people who think that anything other than a top level cert is just some entry level, MCP type of cert, and they never look any further than that.
b4rtm4n
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seriously like to have a bang at the RHCE but the cost is prohibitive if you're not being employer sponsored.

I've read through the course content and anything that has continuos practical assesment for the period of the course which you MUST pass before being allowed to take the written cert sounds good to me.

The MCSE is very much a paper certification. Although widely known and will get you past one of alt.dons HR hacks I feel that it's not respected amongst the IT community. From what I've done of it, its more of a *grounding* in windows server and desktop technologies. You spend more time trying to work out MS's rediculously wordy questions than knowing the technology Evil or Very Mad

As far as Cisco goes. No one ever got sacked for buying Cisco kit so the demand for experienced certified engineers will continue. It's just a case of being one step ahead of the next guy. Smile
EricTheBald
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately for me, my Uncle Sammy pays for all those tests for me. Very Happy
b4rtm4n
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn thats cheating. How am I supposed to compete with a superpower!

Sad
EricTheBald
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, come to the US, join the Army, let people shoot at you for a while and then, if you live through it, you too can get reimbursed for tests. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: