• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

How does the site select its moderators?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagganatha
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: How does the site select its moderators? Reply with quote

I was curious about moderatorship in this site. How does Security-Forums select its moderators ? Is it just by a mere count of posts or do all the members get to vote as to who they want to be moderator ? It would be interesting and a great honour to be a mod at Security-Forums. So I wanted to know how you great people reached the level you all have reached.
dumguy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a somewhat valid question.. but mostly points to your "newbiemanship" in the manner of forums in general..

here's the honest truth.. generally, a forum is run by a single admin who then trusts a few others who become admins or mods.. the key word there is trust.. second, a forum is not a democracy.. unless the leader chooses it to be.. as with anything in life, a good leader will place his trust in his folks and general folk to act according to the overall plan. So, the ones who excel in certain areas get noticed.. then they might get trusted, then then might get asked to do something worthwhile to the cause.. then one might get elevated to "moderatorship" .. all in all, anyone and everyone must learn how to communicate well with others.. and have a good time about it.. you can strive for something but generally you can't just ask and expect it to be given.

all this said with my honest, non-depreciating humor.
work for something.. and it comes to you.. Wink
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dumguy pretty much has it there.

It's nothing to do with post count, it's to do with quality, attitude, consistency and knowledge.

Some people might make 600 posts and never become a mod because they post a lot in the off-topic areas, or only ask questions not answer anything.

Someone might make 100 posts and become a mod because every post is quality, well written, full of info, polite and informative.

First step is to become trusted source, second is mod.

Mods are chosen by me really and voted for by other mods or sometimes not I just add them.
CHeeKY
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dont have to too much of an adverse opinion compared to the other mods as that can not work in your favour, regardless of how much you can help a place. Wink

as people say be cool, be nice, show some talent with helping others, and keep a smile on your face.
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember there might be a huge difference between how much someone thinks they help help and how much they actually help.

Or how good they think they are and how good they actually are.

This happens a lot Wink

A lot of people talk the talk but are still crawling (they can't walk the walk Wink)
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest, unlike many other websites; SFDC is an extremely active website. We are finding out where our point of diminishing returns lays, and also happily discovering that we continue to remain flexible as we continue to grow.
cats_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCWriter wrote:
unlike many other websites; SFDC is an extremely active website. We are finding out where our point of diminishing returns lays

How true, but what does the second comment mean PCWriter?
Tom Bair
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have proven to ourselves that we are successfully moderating a much larger post load, and learning new tactics and routines to allow us to handle many more posts in the same amount of time used.

Plus, you will be able to enjoy serious, thought-provoking Computer Book Reviews written in such a calibar that is not found on many other sites.
MoiraA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'd just like to add congrats to Hugo - I just noticed he recently became a moderator.

And Squidly! Just noticed that too .....
Mongrel
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!! cheeky - your moniker comes through

"Just dont have to too much of an adverse opinion..."

It's all in the presentation. Some people can disagree with almost anyone
and not piss anyone off

And then others can disagree in the minutest detail
and almost everything they say
always seems to be somewhat sarcastic and

and
come across ...
well ...
cheeky.
jagganatha
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. Guess that really answers my question. Good to see that we have a jolly good lot of people to advise me here. Glad to be here

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Comments // Problems etc. All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: