• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

The Security+ Exam/Certification

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is been discussed before and is currently being discussed in another post. Please use the search function before posting. Thanks
ProSnyder
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Im new so I really dont know whats been discussed already but it doesent matter its all new to me.

I have A+, MCP,MCSA and Soon to have The E wich includes the Security Pluss (Comptia). Microsoft just made the Security + a special elective to the MCSE so its included and it knocks out one of your design courses.

Just some info for you guys...this should be great knews to some.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Semens
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 danielrm26 : As far as difficulty is concerned, if you understand most of the more advanced content discussed on this site then you shouldn't need more than a day or so to study for the test. I used one study guide and went over it for a couple hours the night before and then on the ride to the testing center and received an 840 out of 900 (over 90%). For those new to Security, you will probably have to study quite a bit to be ready for it - it's just a matter of how much you know before you start studying.

I am on a different opinion here. The above seems rather evasive.

The Sec+ exam is scaled to 1000 and (I might be wrong here) but i have never heard of anyone scoring a round figure "840". 822,846,876 are regular scores reported by my friends who have taken the exam. I dont believe that the exam is easy. I have five years in the areas of IT Infrastructure, Organizational/Operational Security, Standards & some basic cryptography, belive me the exam ain't easy. I had to take two attempts before actually passing. The first attempt was stupid enough to take just after reading one book. For the second attempt I took a month while at work. 3 hrs' a day and 10 hours each weekend. I used the Microsoft Training Kit - Andy Ruth & Kurt Hudson and Eam Cram2.

For a good insight on the exams I feel you should attempt the boson tests. You will notice that most of the material covered is from CISSP prep kit.

The exam tests reasonably well in the areas of Infrastructure, Access Control Techniques & Communications Security (Cryptography). (Totally 5 domains of the 10 CISSP CBK) I can surely say that Sec+ is close to SSCP. I have not yet checked the returns for this exam but I am sure the ROI much be pretty good. Growth after Security+ is early to talk about. I do not see lot of Sec+ certified.

I am sure that CISSP CISM and SANS are well noted but be advised that these certifications require good amount of experience for attempting and actually certifying. So Sec+ certification seems to be a decent one to start or boost a career in InfoSec. I can say one thing about career advancement here, Certifications like MCSE Security, CCSP & Checkpoint are good if you are currenty working or planning to work on those vendor products. These certifications would be much better if they are more generalized and technology specific, at the same time keeping the sanctity of their product intact. I feel, to start or boost a career in InfoSec, it is always safe to choose a Vendor Neutral Certification like Security+. to boost. To prove yourself while in a mid career level, it is smarter to choose CISSP or CISM (For sure your co. should be glad to sponser for training & certification) . These certifications discuss a wider aspect of various tenets discussed in Security+ (Eg: BS 7799, CC, ISO15408) which are vital for an organizational growth.

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> General Security Discussion All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: