• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Search | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Linux laptop driver support for nVidia vs Radeon?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d3vzero
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Linux laptop driver support for nVidia vs Radeon? Reply with quote

Will shortly be purchasing the DELL Inspiron 8600 laptop, and I'm looking for opinions on which Graphics Adapter to get in it.

I'll be looking to setup/use WinXP, Linux (either Debian or Gentoo), and much later Open or Free BSD.

The graphics Adapters on offer are the 64MB DDR nVidia GeForce 5200 Go AGP 4x or the 128MB ATI Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro.

For some reason all of the Linux HOWTO install docs I've seen on the net, like http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/dell.html and http://www.tuxmobil.org/dell.html, are based on hardware using the nVidia Adapter. Could this be due to Linux not currently having any great level of support for the Radeon Adapter in this laptop???

From the performance reviews I've seen the Radeon looks like the far better card, however I now have concerns regarding Linux support of this adapter.

Does anyone know if getting the 8600 with the Radeon Card is currently more trouble under Linux than its worth ?

Would also appreciate any opinions regarding performance comparisons between the two adapters, and ofcourse (if anyone knows) the Inspiron 8600 itself. Very Happy

Thanks and Best Regards, Peter.
alt.don
SF Boss
SF Boss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that ATI has excellent linux support vice NVidia's spotty support of linux. I would advise you to go with ATI. I have no detailed info regarding ATI support of this card though. Head to their website and check out their driver section. If it is not supported now it will be soon I am sure.
bsdjunkie
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually my experience has been the reverse. Until very recently ATI did not release any good drivers for their newer cards. Nvidia has had binaries for both Linux and FreeBSD for quite some time now where i get great 3d speed with. I actually ended up ditching my ati 7500 for a nvidia 5200 awhile back.

Anyways. both companies only release binaries, and ATI in rpm only.
d3vzero
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

Opinions well valued ... even though they do seem to be at odds. Very Happy

While nVidia do seem to have linux drivers here, it seems that ATI have opted out of any specific linux drivers for laptops Shown Here.

ATI do seem to have a standard linux driver for the 9600 Series here (though I dont know if it will work on the Inspiron 8600).

While the ATI Radeon link says go to your manufacturer for a linux driver, Dell themselves do not seem to provide them for any of their laptops. Shocked

I did find a couple links here and here indicating successful setup/use of the Radeon, so I think I will just bite the bullet, get the Radeon, and probably end up back here asking for more specific advice when I cant get the damn thing working. Very Happy

Thanks Again Guys, Peter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: