fragmentation from hell eek!

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: maxpowerLocation: philly PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:22 am    Post subject: fragmentation from hell eek!
    ----
60.31% total fragmentation on a 60gb volume...suprisingly this system runs alright

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:27 am    Post subject:
    ----
LOL I learnt to defrag more often when one day my NTLDR disappeared, quite scary really.

I later found out if the boot partitions gets too fragmented it can stop booting Evil or Very Mad

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject:
    ----
So maxpower, how LONG did it take to defrag? Laughing

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject:
    ----
and did you processor\hard drive survive? (if we dont get a reply for a while we can assume the answer is no!)

Author: b4rtm4nLocation: Bi Mon Sci Fi Con PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Had a 20gb external USB1.1 drive 78% fragged.

2.5 days to defrag. PC was unusable while id did this. (And I did copy big chunks off to help)

Rolling Eyes

Author: chrisLocation: ~/security-forums PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Maxpower

What is this package, O&O defrag?

Can it defrag multiple drives at the same time?

I could do with a decent freeware utlility to do all local drives
with a few clicks then leave it, as the standard win2k one doesnt allow you to select multiple drives ?

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:09 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I was going to ask that actually as the only way I worked out how to do it was to use task scheduler and to set the tasks a couple of hours apart.

This would mean they all get done, bit of a pain in the arse though, could do with something a bit more point and click.

Author: maxpowerLocation: philly PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject:
    ----
had to do 3 runs to smooth things out..

they have an enterprise version which works in client/server mode. Haven't tried this one yet, but the desktop version will defrag multiple volumes at the same time etc...both cost $

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1