Linux stability / new install problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: werem00seLocation: U.S.A (west) PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Dude,
if you have a different disk, the first thing I would do is try to install it on that. It looks/sounds like your packages are trying to write to a bad sector on the drive or an improperly partitioned file system. What is your partitioning schema like? (i.e. /boot =?MB, root=?MB swap =?MB? Is it ext2 fs? or did you try ext3 or riserfs?

Personally I would bet the house on Hardware issues - leaning towards a bad physical disk - then perhaps a memory slot or IDE SCSI channel.

I know it sounds broad, but....

If the Mandrake install started puking after 150 days and your SURE nothing happened to the O/S (overwrite a critical binary or something...)

it would almost HAVE to be hardware...

Author: b4rtm4nLocation: Bi Mon Sci Fi Con PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Just found this snippet.

AMD or Intel??

There are a large no. of similar issues with Athlon/Duron chips.

Apparently you can specify "noathlon" as a switch for your boot loader which'll help alleviate the prob.

Author: chrisLocation: ~/security-forums PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Yep its an AMD Smile Sad

Its one 10 odd gig HD with an roughly equal amount of space
for / and /home and 300 odd meg for a swap file.

Will try again with another hard drive, already tried different memory

Author: b4rtm4nLocation: Bi Mon Sci Fi Con PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject:
    ----
try the "noathlon" option and see if it flys.

Alternatively try a distro that'll allow you to manually set up the kernel at install. I've just started playing with Gentoo www.gentoo.org and it's almost like doing Linux from scratch.

It may help.

ps Add a /boot partition 50M should be more than enough. I've found this out the hard way in recent weeks. It'll save you some of the grief I had.

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yeh if you add /boot you don't have to use that shitty LILO thing which spunks all over your MBR!

Twisted Evil Mad Twisted Evil

Author: b4rtm4nLocation: Bi Mon Sci Fi Con PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Got a nice GRUBby MBR now! Laughing

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :||:
Page 2 of 2