Mac under fake Word 2004 attack

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: chrisLocation: ~/security-forums PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Mac under fake Word 2004 attack
    ----
Macworld UK has learned of a dangerous malware that deletes the Home folder on a Mac. The file is cunningly disguised as a Word 2004 for Mac demo – from the forthcoming Office 2004 for Mac suite.

A Macworld reader alerted the magazine to the malware after he downloaded the file from Limewire. The reader told Macworld: "I downloaded the file in the hope that perhaps Microsoft had released some sort of public beta. The file unzipped, and to my delight the Microsoft icon looked genuine and trustworthy." However, he added: "I clicked on the installer file, and to my horror in 10 seconds the attachment had wiped my entire Home folder!"

Mac malicious

Macworld has been able to acquire the file from Limewire, and has received confirmation from Internet security company Intego that its contents appear to be malicious. Intego was initially criticized for exaggerating the threat of the concept Trojan Horse identified last month.

Microsoft responds

Microsoft has issued no official public beta of Microsoft Office 2004, which has not yet shipped.

A Microsoft spokesperson said: "Security is a top priority for Microsoft, and we are committed to ensuring a safe and reliable computing experience for all of our customers. Microsoft does not currently offer any Web downloads for Microsoft 2004. The best way to ensure you have a legitimate copy of any Microsoft products is to ensure you purchase it from any licensed reseller or VAR.

"Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac should only be installed from retail or site-licensed media purchased through authorized resellers or VARs, where the authentic install icon will be found in the product install wizard. "When looking for product enhancements from Microsoft customers should always download from www.microsoft.com/mac or use the new auto-update tool in Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac."

Source - MacWorld

Author: NetworkguyLocation: UK PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject:
    ----
This must chill Mac owners to the bone.

After all, I am forever reading posts from Mac owners who claim never to have to worry about PC security, viruses, worms etc and then here we have just that.

Maybe this is the shape of things to come? As windows users are getting more careful about what they click on, Mac and Linux users are still quite happy opening anything that comes their way as the believe they are immune.

Author: catwomanLocation: Edinburgh, Scotland PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject:
    ----
Networkguy wrote:
This must chill Mac owners to the bone.

Yes, I'm chilled, you're right I do tend to open more attachments than my PC-using colleagues, I'll need to be more careful Sad

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1