Macintosh Intrusion Detection Systems

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: scottm170Location: Minnesota PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Macintosh Intrusion Detection Systems
    ----
Recently I've been having some problems with a hacker. First they used a Trojan horse in my browser to view all of websites I have been visiting. Basically, I dumped my computer, started over, and bought a firewall and some anti-spam software to try and stop hidden files from coming in. Recently, I've had the impression that this hacker is able to either receive my emails or recieve the emails that I send out. You can understand my concern. I started researching to figure out what is the best way to track messages leaving my computer. What I found was a thing called a "Intrusion Detection System" Bascially a firewall protects things from coming in. An Intrusion Detection System detects things going out. Are there any IDS software programs for the Mac OS-X that will help me track outgoing messages from my computer. What I've found is programs such as "Little Snitch" which tracks in-going and out-going messages, also a UNIX program called "Snort". I don't have much experience with UNIX, so I don't even know how to install the program. Any help would great, or advice. Thank you.

Author: cisco studentLocation: SFDC USA: Chico, California PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Well since you are on a MAC, I feel sorry for you. Very Happy Nah just kidding. Very good research done so far, as SNORT is the best IDS system to run.

Look at these sites.

Snort Info

Network IDS

Snort Documents

And last but not least this Google

HTH

Author: cjiLocation: Boston PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hey Check this out:

"HenWen is a network security package for Mac OS X that makes it easy to configure and run Snort, a free Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS). HenWen's goal is to simplify setting up and maintaining software that will scan network traffic for undesirable traffic a firewall may not block. Everything you need to have is bundled in; there is no compiling or command line use necessary. "

http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/henwen.html

Have fun!

Author: catwomanLocation: Edinburgh, Scotland PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
cji wrote:
Hey Check this out:

"HenWen is a network security package for Mac OS X that makes it easy to configure and run Snort, a free Network Intrusion Detection System (NIDS). HenWen's goal is to simplify setting up and maintaining software that will scan network traffic for undesirable traffic a firewall may not block. Everything you need to have is bundled in; there is no compiling or command line use necessary. "

http://seiryu.home.comcast.net/henwen.html

Have fun!

Thanks for posting this, I've installed it and it's working well (as far as I can tell).

I'm wary of terminal, (yes I know, another one who likes her GUI) so this has made it easy for me Smile

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1