Which Distro for a very old/limited machine?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: chrisLocation: ~/security-forums PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:48 am    Post subject:
    ----
The new lindows 'click and run' seems a good idea although is this just based on rpm or similar?

Ive had bad experiences with rpm, they are a good idea but when stuff starts to go wrong just seems to totally mess things up.

Always found stuff works better from source especially apache/php/mysql type stuff

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject:
    ----
apt-get 0wns them all.

rpm is poo.

Author: delete852Location: Washington DC PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject:
    ----
whats apt-get? Is it like emerge in gentoo, where you would type in the name of the program and it would download it and all the dependancies and then install everything?

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:08 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yup, don't have to know the filename or anything..

R0x

just apt-get install nmap

The joys of apt-get..

Keeping your system updated
It's good to keep your system updated with the latest (stable) versions of software. Doing this using APT is a simple two-step operation. You have to do only the following:

prompt$ apt-get update
prompt$ apt-get upgrade

The first command updates your local package cache. The second command upgrades any packages installed on your machine that have newer versions available.

http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue84/tougher.html

Author: delete852Location: Washington DC PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject:
    ----
Is it for specific distro or does it go for anything, for example would it run on redhat?

Author: b4rtm4nLocation: Bi Mon Sci Fi Con PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject:
    ----
RPM can rock if you get hold of the .src.rpm packages.

Building from source is best and RPM lets you manage the source packages as well as the binaries.

Working with prebuilt packages is a chore though. Sad

Most package management systems can be built on most distros. Debian has rpm in addition to apt and Slackware has rpm and pkg-get.

Author: SodaStereoLocation: Buenos Aires, Argentina PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:33 pm    Post subject:
    ----

Hi. i was going around when i saw this discussion. All I have to said is that I've used Slackware since 2.10 (around 1994) and, after all this time, i got the conclussion that, besides some little ugly things, this is the best and personalizeable distriution you'll find. Just try it.
Byeeeee
Laughing

Author: crash-xLocation: my room PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject:
    ----
some guys ported apt-get to redhat, but i don't know where you can download it Smile
I would use debian for a old box, debian is the best Smile

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :||:
Page 2 of 2