Restricting Internet Access/Mac OS 8.6

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: Boss-hog PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Restricting Internet Access/Mac OS 8.6
    ----
Hi all, I am a Macintosh newbie who needs to install some software on an iMac for a client of mine. He is a manager of a small business and wants to get on the computer on internet so that he and his employees can send and receive email from customers, but he doesn't want the employees to be able to use the computer to browse the web/instant message/etc behind his back. The computer itself is old, running OS 8.6. Simply deleting the web browser is not an option so that employees can still visit the company web site (presumably, this it the only site that can accessed). What kind of software (or other solution) can accomplish for OS 8.6? If software must be purchased, that's not a problem, but I would prefer something that has a trial so that I can test its functionality in advance. I can tell you just about anything you want to know about a PC, but don't know a whole lot about Macs, so I would really appreciate it if any recommendation is kept as 'simple' as possible. Thanks a lot for the help.

Boss

Author: 5oger PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject:
    ----
i should first of point out i've never needed/wanted such software, but sounds like you could look at one of the security packages such as nortons or a net nanny and see if they could be used for such purpose?

or i guess if the company has a router? you could block ports and such though msn messager will port switch, one problem you may run into is that software support for mac 8.6 is likly to be dropping, as mac that came with it can and have been upgraded to mac os x so support for the classic system is unfortantly likely to be dropping.

roger

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1