SQL - MSDE Problems

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

Author: Chozen1Location: NW, UK PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: SQL - MSDE Problems
    ----
Hi all,

Im currently having to setup a Web/DB connection for an application Im developing. I have to create a set of ASP pages for interaction with a SQLServer DB.

My current OS is Win2K Professional on which MS SQLServer 2000 will not install as it requires a minimum of Windows 2K Server edition. So I have managed to install the MSDE. This for some strange reason has failed to install the Enterprise manager. But the engine seems to run OK.

I created the pages, setup the DB as a simple demo, and created the dsn connection. All tests have been successful.

However the login fails. Its looking for a login for the account USR_Jon_PB this needs to be created in SQL to make it work. How can I create this account without having the enterprise manager.

Thank You

Chozen1

Author: ToddKLocation: Ottawa, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject:
    ----
On the SQL Server 2000 is there a developer edition. Most disks have this developer edition. It will install on a regular workstation. You should install it. it will give you the Enterprise amanger and other tools like the query analyzer.

Author: Chozen1Location: NW, UK PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I cant see it, its not an option on the menus and it doesn't look like its on the CD I have been given.

Chozen1

Author: ToddKLocation: Ottawa, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Try this:
http://www.msde.biz/

Author: Chozen1Location: NW, UK PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
How will this Query tool help me ?

Chozen1

Author: ToddKLocation: Ottawa, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject:
    ----
D'oh, sorry it won't. I forgot the problem.

I think that if you install the enterprise manager then you can connect to MDSE. I can't remember where to get the Manager though.

*edit* someone else here might know, there 68 to our near 800 gives us the advantage Smile */edit*

Author: ToddKLocation: Ottawa, Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It looks like Microsoft doesn't have an install of the Enterprise Manager. What you can do is download a 120 day evaluation copy of the developer edition of SQL Server then use the Manager from that sfter you have installed it.

Author: ToddKLocation: Ottawa, Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject:
    ----
As a fast solution you should look to see if you can create the account with a SQL statement.

Author: ToddKLocation: Ottawa, Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:59 am    Post subject:
    ----
You can also use Access to connect to MSDE.

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1