Text mode

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: progjm PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Text mode
    ----
I am fairly new to linux. I have Red Hat 9 going right to the gui when it starts. How do I switch to text mode. I know how to get to a terminal, I want to get to text mode. Any help would be awsome. Thanks

Author: White ScorpionLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject:
    ----
<ctrl>+<alt>+<F2> if i'm not mistaken.. normally i do this automatically, so i do not use this so often...

Author: progjm PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks that was it

Author: asusanatorLocation: Adelaide Hills, South Australia PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject:
    ----
http://www.vinuthomas.com/sections-viewarticle-31.html

type in telinit 3 in a shell window

telinit 5 to go back to GUI

KDE

[edit] Geh sorry a bit late Sad [/edit]

Author: progjm PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject:
    ----
Now in the windowsx the <alt><CTRL> <F2> to get into text but when I try to type startx to get back It say it is already running, now keep in mind I am new at this. What do I need to do to get back to the gui

Author: asusanatorLocation: Adelaide Hills, South Australia PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject:
    ----
All your doing with that key combo is switching to a text window you are not closeing the x server.

[ctrl]+[alt]+[F7] should do the trick.

KDE

Author: progjm PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks that did the trick. Appreciate it

Author: arken PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Most distributions I've seen set up 6 (F1 - F6) virtual terminals that you can access by pressing <ALT-F#> in terminal mode or <CTRL-ALT-F#> within XWindows. F7 - F12 (and possilby more) can be used to access several running instances of XWindows. I usually have 2 instances running and have used at most 3, so I'm not sure how many more instances you can create. You can usually kill the XWindows process by pressing <CTRL-ALT-Backspace> (Take note that it is not ctrl-alt-del, and that it kills the process and is not a clean exit).

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1