BSD UNIX implementation in MAC OS X

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: flwLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 5:58 am    Post subject: BSD UNIX implementation in MAC OS X
    ----
What are your opinions on the claimed stability of the MAC OS X from the BSD UNIX implementation, derived from the original 4.4BSD-Lite2 Open Source distribution. This is per apple.com see http://www.apple.com/macosx/technologies/darwin.html

Since I know little to nothing about Apple or BSD I though I's ask for your opinions on the claim of stabitliy equal to Unix? I just don't see how you can delute a OS like this and still claim one of the virgin qualities of Unix. What do you think?

Author: hugoLocation: Netherlands, Europe PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I can only tell you this;

The MacOSX's kernel is based on the Mach3 kernel which was also used in NeXTStep. I still got such a machine with which I sometimes fiddle around a bit.

I know from experience that those NeXTStep machines are terribly stable, the only downtime was due to updates on the software, power failures, or a RAID failing... :-/

When I first looked at MacOSX, I noticed the similarities in the file-hierarchy, etc...

So, without having being able to really power-use OSX, simply because I don't have it, I dare bet it's just as good as any other UNIX.

Author: DunceorLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:
    ----
I have never really used it but I have friends that have became Mac freaks after Mac OS X.
There is alot like *nix with the shell (you can control the whole box from the shell just like an *nix box).

Mac OS X looks like a *nix box with XFree86 on it and I have heard from alot of people it's very stable.

I'm looking into maybe tryin to buy one of the G5 later on when I got money, would be so nice Smile

Author: catwomanLocation: Edinburgh, Scotland PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject:
    ----
I've never used unix before I upgraded to Mac OS X so I can't compare, I'm afraid. However, I can tell you that this is the most stable of all the Macintosh OS's IMHO and I've been a Mac user for nine years now. My computer has only crashed twice in 26 months (both times using Microsfot software Laughing) - the OS quits an application before the computer can crash.

Author: catwomanLocation: Edinburgh, Scotland PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject:
    ----
r4bb1t_f00d wrote:
Amit Singh has written some very interesting technical articles on OS X and its the history of Macs et al. http://www.kernelthread.com/

Thanks for posting that - I'll bookmark it for reading later Very Happy

Author: chenghui1981 PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject:
    ----
mircokernel make mac os x become so powerful, i think...

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1