CD-ROM Drive not recognized!

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: Gangsta_Thug_01Location: Unknown PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: CD-ROM Drive not recognized!
    ----
k today i opened my computer and put in a 128 mb of ram stick.
then i closed the computer and everything.when i started the computer it couldnt read drive m(cd rom drive) anyone knows how to detect it or fix this problem

help would be appreciated as soon as possible!!!!

Author: Mongrel PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject:
    ----
You probably accidentally disconnected either the power cable or the ide cable from the cdrom of the mobo. Opne it up again and look closely.

Author: delete852Location: Washington DC PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
yea chek the gables that is most common error. When in doubt check Layer1. If they are properly connected try going to BIOS, and checking things out from there. See if you can detect it. It might have not found it once and then put it as not detected instead of auto.

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
And check the jumper didn't fall off...

Author: Gangsta_Thug_01Location: Unknown PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject:
    ----
by the way i needed to tell u 1 more thing.when i click the open button the drive opens,but my comp cant detect it.

does dis mean anything else?

Author: browolf PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject:
    ----
hehe it means the same thing. you'll see Cool

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Gangsta_Thug_01 wrote:
by the way i needed to tell u 1 more thing.when i click the open button the drive opens,but my comp cant detect it.

does dis mean anything else?

Do you mean the Open button on the CD-ROM itself? That button is totally seperate from your PC system, if you hooked up any CD-ROM to a power supply and placed an audio CD in -- you could use the headphone jack in front (if your model has such) and listen to the music. Kind of like a hacked CD player.

The boys gave you the best advice, first check your data cable is seated snugly. Next check your BIOS to insure your CD drive is regonized. Then check your jumper -- if it is set to 'cable select', move it to 'Master' or 'Slave', depending on which IDE port it is cabled to.

After all this, if it is not recognized, try checking out your Window device drivers. Still nothing? Pull the CD-ROM and install it in another PC. If the second PC fails to recognize it -- the drive is toast, replace it. If the second PC does recognize the drive -- suspect your original PC's IDE bus, data cable, or BIOS chip.

You could try replacing the data cable. Flashing the BIOS if your BIOS supports it. If the problem is in the IDE bus -- you will either have to switch the drive over to another port, or replace the motherboard.

Good luck, I hope it proves only to be a loose data cable for you!

Tom

Author: Gangsta_Thug_01Location: Unknown PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
aight thanks to yall and merry christmas

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Strange life I lead ... today I worked on an e-machine T1090 (900 MHz Celeron) with a Samsung CD-Master 48E (Model SC-148). Customer complained the CD-ROM would not work anymore.

I checked it out, got read errors in DOS, Windows XP requested a CD be inserted (even though one was in the drive). Sound familiar ... grin. The drive was cabled to Secondary Master and pinned as CS (Cable Select). I re-pinned it as Master. Still no dice.

I re-cabled it as Secondary Slave and re-pinned as Slave. Replaced the data cable with a known good data cable. 2 out of 5 times Windows XP would read the drive. DOS failed to read it only once out of 8 tries.

Heck with it, I pulled the drive and installed a 56 speed CD-ROM. Both DOS and Windows XP reads the drive dependably now. Cost of CD-ROM drive was $23.00 -- shop labor came to $20.00.

Customer let me keep the toasted drive. I brought it home and ran a diagnostics on it ... CDetect informs me the drive's circuit board is malfunctioning.

Lesson to be learned here? Replace the drive first. Cheaper than trouble-shooting the PC. If it still doesn't work, replace the data cable. (Customer's data cable tested fine, BTW).

Tom

Author: Gangsta_Thug_01Location: Unknown PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:14 pm    Post subject:
    ----
i m not a computer expert i m just a begineer so ill try to exxplain the best i can.i looked inside.everything was hooked up good.no loose cords or nottin.but do uu guys know what that look-a-like car belt thingy is.that connects the cd rom drive to seomthing else.theres a little hole in dat belt.but its still atached just about 1cm2 area hole.could dat be my problem?

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject:
    ----
Humm, you have three plug-ins to your CD-ROM Drive. One is the Power cord, and runs from your power supply to your CD-ROM. It commonly has 4 colored wires.

The next is an Audio Cable (sometimes optional) which is plugged into the left side of the CD-ROM (as you view the back end). It most often appears as a single cable running from your CD-ROM down to your Sound Card.

Last we have the Data Cable, it hooks into your CD-ROM next to your Power Plug, and runs down to your motherboard (MoBo). This is a ribbon cable, a flat, wide cable. It might have 40 or 80 lines running in it, depending on your setup.

This cable should not have any holes in it. It has a connector on one end plugged into the MoBo. There might be a connector 3/4ths the way up which is used for a second (slave) drive. Then it has a connector on the other end of it which plugs into your CD-ROM drive. Again, there should NOT be any holes in it.

Your first step is to remove the data cable from your system. Wiggle the cable side to side with outward pressure applied from the motherboard. Pull it free and repeat the process with the drive. Be careful not to bend any pins on the drive when removing the cable.

Now you have to identify if it is an 80 pin ribbon cable, or a 40 pin ribbon cable. You can count those lines from one side to another to do this.

Take the cable down to your nearest PC supply shop and buy a new one. Make sure the new cable is as long (if not longer) as the old one. You will also want to make sure the new cable has three connectors on it (in case you add another drive in the future).

When you get the new cable back home, plug it back in to the CD-ROM drive. There will be a red stripe or red dotted line along one side of the ribbon cable. This side has to face the power plug on the CD-ROM.

On the Motherboard, look for a corner of the plug which shows a "1". That is pin 1 -- which is the red line on your cable. Plug the cable in making sure that the red line side goes to pin 1.

Make sure both ends of the cable are plugged in tightly. Now boot up your computer and enter BIOS (usually hitting the F-1 key while booting, or the DEL key, will get you into BIOS Setup). Check your drive listings to see if your BIOS recognizes your CD-ROM. It will show you 4 lines of items, line 1 is your Hard drive C: --- and I am guessing that line 3 would be showing your CDROM or AUTO. If it shows NONE, alter it to AUTO and save your settings.

Boot up with your fingers crossed. Put a CD in the drive and go to 'My Computer'. Click on the CD-ROM icon and see if the CD's directory is listed. If not, or you get an error such as "Place disk in drive" ... then you will have to suspect the CD-ROM drive as being bad.

You can try replacing the CD-ROM drive with a new one, or take the time to insert your suspected CD-ROM drive into another computer to see if it works. If it does work in another PC, then your problem most likely is in the IDE bus controller built into the motherboard. You will have no choice but to replace the motherboard.

I know this is a lot of instructions at once ... so ask questions if you need to. And read up on using Anti-Static wrist straps before you stick your hands inside your PC.

Tom

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1