Linux, Movie like screen capturing.

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: Quentusrex PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Linux, Movie like screen capturing.
    ----
I work as a network admin and one of my side hobbies is making 'tutorials' for installing new software and setting it up for linux. Is there anyway to take constant screen captures so that all images on the screen are put into a 'movie' like state? that would be very helpful.

Author: PheoLocation: London, United Kingdom PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject:
    ----
are you talking about doing this ON linux? in which case i cant help you Smile
however on windows there is HyperCam which is from the same people who make HyperSnap, thats supposed to do something similar

and the VMWare 5 beta does movie captures too
sorry I cant be more help! Smile
I do try and make tutorials, but i stick to screenshots hehe

Author: brainless PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:
    ----
You should check out this page. It looks promising. What they used was a program called vncrec, but I think it requires that you have a VNC server running so it might not be what you are looking for. Although, I think that the vnc2swf program looks like it could really help you if you ever plan on putting your tutorials online. It would cut down the size of the movies tremendously, without much of a quality loss. Sorry if it wasn't what you are looking for, but its the best I could find.[/b]

Author: blackmagic22 PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi their.

I use the ksnapshot program that comes with linux(suse) for my screen captures.

http://docs.kde.org/en/3.1/kdegraphics/ksnapshot/

I think their is some timer function ,could be helpful

Author: Rowdy Yates PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject:
    ----
for just plain ole screen captures - i just use gimp. but will look into other ones for you. there must be a nice and handy one for doing video captures.

RY

Author: Quentusrex PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks all. These are very helpful. I am trying to do this in linux. I know about screen captures, but that timing this sounds like it has potential. But I would want something very quick like every .5 seconds are faster... Then I'd need a way to time all the pics into a movie... There has to be a way to copy in parrallel all the info sent to the moniter. Even if it requires a kernel recompile. Since Linux treats everything like a file couldn't you just have it output everything that goes to the 'Moniter' file to another file as well? Hmm.. Interesting thought. I'll keep searching and thinking.

Author: rmvwLocation: Darmstadt, Germany PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi.
You should take a closer look at this tool: http://xvidcap.sourceforge.net/
I was trying to use it to film some supertux-stunts, but it caused too much load. I hope that it is nevertheless fast enough to satisfy your needs..

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1