What is the preferred nix for ISP/Hosting companies?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: GuardianLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: What is the preferred nix for ISP/Hosting companies?
    ----
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knows, or know of a site with stats, which is the popular nix OS used by ISPs and hosting companies?

Many TIA.

Smile

Author: chrisLocation: ~/security-forums PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Quite a few linux distros seem to be popular like slackware and redhat

ISPs also seem to have a lot of solaris and freeBSD.

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
http://www.netcraft.com/

As a rule it's BSD.

Author: GuardianLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thank you saxo and ShaolinTiger.

Good site ST. It seems Yahoo is running entirely on FreeBSD. If it is good enough for Yahoo, it is good enough for me Wink

I am going to do some readings. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Smile

Author: flwLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject:
    ----
Web servers info. from http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

1. Apache
2. Microsoft
3. Zeus
4. SunONE

Author: GuardianLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject:
    ----
Tnx fastlanwan.

I am runnign Apache. I was interested in the OS. I di not see an ISO in Free BDS site. I have seen many ISO for FreeBSD from the search with Google but don't know which one to trust.

Any ideas?

Smile

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject:
    ----
http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=15

Author: Jason PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject:
    ----
The ISP i work for use *BSD and slackware.

Author: vlad902 PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject:
    ----
Usually most servers run *BSD (usually open or free) or Solaris...

Author: GuardianLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject:
    ----
ShaolinTiger:
many thanks.

jasonlambert:
Thanks.
*BSD, is that FreeBSD or another?

Any pref between the two?

I want to migrate from win,Apache,php,perl,mysql to a nix system.
I would need above plus mailserver and ftp. A GUI interface would help the transition from win to nix but if not possible no prob. I have to learn nix anyway as I intend to eventually move completely to nix.

System would run as a server only and not for personal use.

I appreciate all the help and advice.

Smile

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject:
    ----
I would recommend Debian as a good in-between, but that's my own personal favourite.

Totally free to download and the most stable and generally secure Linux distro.

Comes with Exim, IMAP, SAMBA, MySQL, Apache etc..

7 CD's actually it comes with everything in the world ever Very Happy

Author: vlad902 PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
ShaolinTiger wrote:
I would recommend Debian as a good in-between, but that's my own personal favourite.

Totally free to download and the most stable and generally secure Linux distro.

Comes with Exim, IMAP, SAMBA, MySQL, Apache etc..

7 CD's actually it comes with everything in the world ever Very Happy

Most stable and secure? Again that's a biased opinion Wink.

and *BSD means all types of BSD, there is FreeBSD (stable and simple), OpenBSD (Secure and stable), and NetBSD (Ported to almost everything!)

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
Not really, it's the general consensus for Debian.

Have a look at their upgrade cycle..

No point releases, 2+ years for a release.

Debian is on version 3.0, everyone else is on what 7.x or 8.x now.

It is the most Stable distro by far and like I said generally the most secure (unless you get stuff from the unstable tree).

Author: GuardianLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thnak you all for all the help.

I am gradually moving away from an easy to start distro to a longterm one.

It seems that I would eventually need to get my hands dirty with CLI therefore, I might start from the begining.

I would like to concentrate on an OS which is reliable, secure and robust and get to know it and stick with it. If it does not have GUI interface then tough (on me) and I shall learn.

Would that change my options?

Which distro would be best long term investmnet (in term of time and effort)? Debian, slackware, *BSD(which one).

At the moment, I am not considering RedHat or Mandrake or Solaris both for cost and structure.

I am grateful for all the help I am getting. It is not easy to start something new and I need all the help I can get. I hope to return the favour one day.

Smile

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Depends where you want to dive in really..

You can slap a GUI on all of them, but as I see it the difficulty tree goes like this (Easiest at the top):

Redhat
Mandrake
SuSe
Debian
Slackware
BSD's

The top being easiest, least stable/least secure, moving down to most stable most secure and hardest to install/configure/use.

I suggested Debian as it lies in the middle, you can install it vanilla with no GUI and configure it all by hand and it comes with all the packages you need. It's a good server OS.

SuSe is the best desktop OS IMHO, BSD would be the one you want to end up using, you can start at the deep end if you like.

Where you start on the tree is entirely up to you Wink

I'd suggest trying a few and seeing at what level you are comfortable.

Author: GuardianLocation: UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks again.

Iam begining to toy with the idea of BSD.
Any comment on choice between FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

There are ISOs availble for BSD (4 disks) but I could not see any for openBSD.
BTW, Slackware is on one CD. Is that the OS only?

TIA
Smile

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 2