software to monitor internet bandwidth traffic on a LAN

Networking/Security Forums -> Security Related Software

Author: arnold_k69 PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: software to monitor internet bandwidth traffic on a LAN
    ----
hi people, my ISP is tellin me that a node on our network is eating our bandwidth for our internet connection but they cant identify it. Im looking for some type of software that could monitor the network and graphically hsow me the host and the their utlization of bandwidth. Can u all recommend some type of software which will perform this task.

Author: arnold_k69 PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
the network doesnt contain any swicthes, a few hub. approximately about 50 pc on the network. a few printers shared and some folders shared. we have no dedicated servers so we running a peer to peer network. feel free to ask any questions.

Author: larsmhansenLocation: Boston, MA, USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Although there may be several ways to monitor traffic, the easist would probably be to get some sort of tool to analyze you firewall logs. These logs should show source and destination IP as well as the number of bytes downloaded.

If you don't have a firewall that logs this, then you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle.

You can monitor bandwidth usage on most managed switches as well, but it doesn't sound like you have that, so ...

Author: arnold_k69 PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject:
    ----
well u rite that we dont have a firewall, so thats a big prob for us. also no switches, in the near future we are going to install a few 3COM managed switched. any particular switch brand or model u recommend?

Networking/Security Forums -> Security Related Software

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1