new forum suggestion

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.
PDA Security and Networking Forum
Cool idea
70%
 70%  [ 46 ]
Not so cool
29%
 29%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 65

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: new forum suggestion
    ----
What does everyone think about adding a section relating to PDA's? I think PDA security and networking is growing and would add an interesting element to SFDC. I would be interested in learning what tools others use on the Palm OS and Pocket PC in regards to OS tweaks & network tools. I thought a poll might be appropriate to see if others would be interested as well.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject:
    ----
Perhaps Cellphone/PDA security would be more appropriate considering the amount of hype the antivirus companies have created surrounding bluetooth vulnerabilities and virus propagation within certain cell phones. Although I do not see security in this area as critical at the moment, the PDA cellphone will eventually progress in functionality and have better connectivity to the internet, in turn triggering more advanced attacks.

Last edited by PhiBer on Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Author: gr33ndataLocation: DMZ PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:30 am    Post subject:
    ----
I am with the Cell/PDA idea too. I think with mobiles going more into being a sophesticated devices (Java applications and so) as well as increase of connectivity (bluetooth, wifi, etc) there may be more attacks targeting that field.

Author: mattyp PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject:
    ----
Agree with the PDA/ Cell idea.

Author: mekrosLocation: Manila PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject:
    ----
Mobile Devices perhaps Smile

Author: neewtLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:
    ----
Yeah, a section about PDA and Smart phone security would be great. I'm actually writing my thesis about the subject (storing classified information on a mobile device).

Author: JustinTLocation: Asheville, NC, US / Uberlândia, MG, Brazil PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Good idea.
    ----
I find it to be an excellent proposal, using cryptography as one example; consider the cryptographic specifications for GSM, and its respective cryptanalyses by Barkhan, Biham, and Keller, Biryukov, Shamir, and Wagner, and Goldberg and Wagner, as well as ECSD, and GPRS. The strong implications that cryptography is important, further echoes the importance for security, as a whole, when it comes to issues that need the utmost addressing.

To be more specific, though, I believe I like the idea for a section on "mobile devices", as previously mentioned; it's general enough to include a plethora of various mobile applications of security. As mobility is almost, in a sense, a prerequisite to living efficiently, the care for its security should be in much higher demand. Anything, including a new forum, to discuss potential advancements in mobile security, is welcome, in my book.

Author: tekmozen PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: New Forum Suggestion
    ----
A good idea, something for mobile security would be welcome.

I'm currently studying for my MSc in IT Security and am doing my project on infosec awareness, one of the areas I'm thinking looking further into is exactly this.

Hopefully I can contribute in someway.

Tekmozen

Author: MaverickMathematician PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject:
    ----
On this topic I remember bein told that 'Blujacking' (this is the hacking into of bluetooth enabled phones) is also on the increase without any real defense. It does require some averagely serious software but it is not that hard.

Regards,

M

Author: Bungle PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject:
    ----
Hi Very Happy

I think it’s a great idea. I was just about to post a similar topic but I found this with a search. I was going to mainly go with mobile phone security. Voice encryption and SMS encryption probably on Symbian systems.

I think mobile phones could sustain their own topic but I would go with mobile devices in general if everyone wants to thin the topic out a bit.

I have found these programs for series 60 phones,

Mumsms - for encrypting received SMS messages.

Handysafe - for storing private info on your phones memory card.

HandyPhotoSafe - I think you can work out what this one does !

Fortress SMS - is a SMS encryption program. I am really looking forward to trying this myself. Unlike Mumsms Fortress encrypts your text messages before transmission.

Has anyone here tried Fortress SMS ? If so could you PM me (so we don’t go off topic) and tell me what you think of it please.

Thanks,

Bungle.

PS.
Please, everyone at PGP make some mobile phone software…..please ! Crying or Very sad

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject:
    ----
We thank everyone for your suggestions, input, and votes.

We are now actively discussing this issue among the staff...

will report the outcome of our decision in a few days.

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1