MAC is secure?

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: majik PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: MAC is secure?
    ----
Hallo,

Have not been posting here for some time now....
I have asked quistions around other forums regarding MAC.
The short version is that I started working for a company and I want to start using MAC instead of the normal SOE that companies throw at you.
I am in a security role, and need to run tools such as Ethereal, nmap etc… and the best platform is X.
Now as the MAC is base BSD this is perfect, and I did this long proposal with the whole deal… No Viruses for MAC, Stable, fast, Mobile.
This is all good but they want to know why not get a normal i386 machine and dual boot with Linux?!?!? Now that is not the answer I was hoping for….

What else can I throw at them?

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: MAC is secure?
    ----
majik wrote:

This is all good but they want to know why not get a normal i386 machine and dual boot with Linux?!?!?

Hello majik & welcome to the forums. Linux and Mac's serve different purposes. What is the role to be of the computer you are critiquing? Are we talking OS X Server compared to a Linux server or are you comparing workstation computers? Both can be locked down quite well.

OS X Server is probably a bit easier to admin but is going to be more costly. A Linux server would be the cheaper way to go but would also require a more experienced admin to setup & maintain. If you provide a few more details we can be more specific. Smile

Author: majik PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Not Server
    ----
Sorry you right did not say,
It is going to be a powerbook.
G3 15" Razz

Author: njanLocation: Scotland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Whoops. Saw MAC and thought Mandatory Access Control. Don't suppose you'd be interested in running a MAC system on your MAC, would you? Razz

Author: hugoLocation: Netherlands, Europe PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: MAC is secure?
    ----
majik wrote:
This is all good but they want to know why not get a normal i386 machine and dual boot with Linux?!?!? Now that is not the answer I was hoping for….

Heh, I'm wondering the same thing. Is there anything that can be done on MacOSX but cannot be done on any i386 machine running Linux?

Agreed, I'd rather have Mac OS X as well, but a lot of companies nowadays don't want to spend a lot of money on something that can easily be done with something cheaper, and I have to agree with that as well...

So, I doubt there's anything left to throw at them to convince them to buy the Powerbook. Smile

Author: njanLocation: Scotland, UK PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Quote:
Heh, I'm wondering the same thing. Is there anything that can be done on MacOSX but cannot be done on any i386 machine running Linux?

Very little, but many companies are linux-phobic and even companies who are prepared to consider linux as a server platform are often very skittish about letting employees use it on desktops.

The other side of this is, you're not just paying for OSX, you're paying for the (excellent) hardware platform, too!

Author: larsmhansenLocation: Boston, MA, USA PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Actually, there's little that can be done on a Mac that cannot be done on an i386 machine running Windows.

Author: majik PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: O well
    ----
then I will just have to wait and C!! Confused Shocked

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1