Request! - PHP Forum Hack (not what you might think actually

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

Author: Cep PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Request! - PHP Forum Hack (not what you might think actually
    ----
I guess I should use addon but as I am so used to them being called hacks i'll continue.

I was wondering if you could add to these forums the "solved\unsolved switch" phpbb hack to these forums?

If you are unsure as to what I am referring to you can see it in action at

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?

Basically when your post/query/problem is solved by yourself or by another user you can then turn the switch of your post to display in the forums post listing " **SOLVED** Why doesnt my computer work? "

Its a nice little feature that might help users out here, what do you think? Very Happy

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I think if it works it's a great idea in principle, but I only expect the regulars to get round to actually using the switch, many others would just not do it. But even a 50% hit rate would be a bonus.

Author: zeedoLocation: Scotland PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Nah those things are horrible.

You might think something is resolved by recommmending the user use AZ widget set, but I might have had issues with AZ so I recommend XY widget set.

You might tell the user to perform action Z but I've come across a case when action Z fixes the problem but 37 days later P pops up and you can't figure out what it was - 37 days of rollbacks leads you to the cause, I'd want to add that to the thread.

I say leave it as it is.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I would only allow the poster to toggle it, not smartarses like me who think they have fixed it.

and I would not lock the thread, just use it as a visual aid to filter out threads which are fixed and don't need my help OR to filter them in when I want to know which one to read through that ends at a fix that might help me out with a problem (depends whether I am searching or contributing)

By the way, I couldn't reproduce your problem - after I did Z mine lasted 47 days and then Q fell over, but a reboot fixed it. Wink

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject:
    ----
It would take quite a bit to convince me to use such a system as this.

One, it would not be dependable or accurate. Two, it would add extra effort to our Moderators to administrate and I fear they would rightly revolt.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:
    ----
Let it never be said that our moderators are revolting!

Author: Cep PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject:
    ----
Its just a switch in the title of the post it doesnt lock anything, and if someone wants to revisit a solved post they just switch it back Smile

Can't see why moderators would find this a hassle, afterall if you need to remove a lot of the dead wood its quite useful as a visual aid.

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1