Running concurrent firewalls

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

Author: WhiskyPriest PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Running concurrent firewalls
    ----
This is probably a dumb question, but if I just installed and am running Sygate... and the windows firewall is still enabled in the control panel, should I disable it?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject:
    ----
Not a dumb question, and yes you should disable Windows firewall. Otherwise you can end up with weird unexplained glitches like your keyboard levitating out the window, etc.

Ok, not really, but having two firewalls running at the same time can cause some weird things to happen with your system. Very Happy

Author: nonsence PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: meh, kinda might be ok, but not sure
    ----
i think the built in Windows Firewall service is light weight enough to not interfere with most other software firewalls. but it does mean that you will need to have two sets of allow or deny rules for your firewalls.
and yes... sometimes things might act up. but i haven't seen any damaging affects of running two firewalls, just that it's hard to manage, and who knows exactly how each of them is implimented. so one allows something, the other denies it, or one has access to some socket, and the other does but cant, etc etc i dont know. just choose sygate, it's better in this case.

Author: 0megaLocation: In Front of My Computer PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: meh, kinda might be ok, but not sure
    ----
nonsence wrote:
i haven't seen any damaging affects of running two firewalls

Heh, I have. A certain LARGE and extremely well-known corporation in the industry requires all of the users on their network to run Zone Alarm's firewall. Which is a good thing. Except they've got them using version 3.5! (ZA is on something like version 6.x)

Not such a bad thing, until you find out that that version of ZA plus XP SP2 = continuous blue screens of death.

So basically all of their employees/contractors either have to stay off the corporate network with their machines or stay at XP SP1.

Considering the company in question, this really surprised me.

Anyways... just letting you know, it happens. Smile

Cheers,
0mega

Author: The_Real_GandalfLocation: Athens,Greece PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Most of the usuall problems are when it comes to networking.

Delays, unexpected disconnections, TCP dumps, etc. are some of the problems that you will experience when you are tryingto run two firewalls at the same time.

Traffic collision is another thing that you might experience due to the filtering proccesses of the two firewalls. That might cause total network failure.

As for system crashes... nope.. the only thing that is visible enough , will be a great resources hogging. BSoD has not come to my attention....yet!

Gandalf

Networking/Security Forums -> Firewalls // Intrusion Detection - External Security

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1