Bruce Schneier interview
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  :||:
Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

Author: alt.don PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Bruce Schneier interview
    ----
Hi guys/gals,

It appears that Mr. Schneier is willing to do an interview for us. To that end please post the questions you would like to see posed to him in this thread. I will give it a week for questions to be posted to this thread.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by alt.don on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Datah, Justin, where you guys at?!?! Very Happy

Author: alt.don PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Well one question that I would like Mr. Schneier to answer is "at what stage does encryption strength become a national security issue?". After all the bad guys are also able to use robust and free encryption.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Interesting point and if you really want to spend some time thinking about it as a national issue a good read is digital fortress, purley from a fictional standpoint but interesting none the less.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject:
    ----
wow, what a great post to look forward to. i guess i would like to know his take on the sony xcp rootkit phenomenon and whether or not that scheme is ultimately secure enough to actually protect the data

Author: Secure Lockdown PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:48 am    Post subject:
    ----
ask Schneier what he thinks of Zimmerman and his new VOIP & crypto initiative.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject:
    ----
1.) Recently, you mentioned that you feel ISP's should be held liable for bad network traffic (i.e. viruses, spam, phishing, etcetera). What do you think is the best way of doing this, and how would you reduce false negatives? Also, what would you say to someone who claims that this is no different to holding car manufacturers responsible for drunk driving, gun makers for illegal use of their weapons, and so on.

2.) What do you think about the upcoming World Summit on the Information Society and the implications of giving DNS control to the European Union? Do you think that ICANN should continue to hold a prominent role in the governance of the Internet Root Servers?

Author: Guest PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:
    ----
The interviews have been great but leave out the "what coding language, scripting etc tcp/ip skills should ..." question and it makes a more enjoyable read, unless it of course is in contrast with the other questions made to the person (ie in ron gula interview the last question didn't really fit in, imho) Wink

Author: alt.don PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hello Marko,

Well the interviews have geared around having an interview with a security professional and what their views are on not only contemporary issues, but also in what it takes to be a security pro. That includes core skills like programming, and networking ie: TCP/IP. Getting their opinion on these areas is indeed desired. That being said there has been enough now that all of the answers from the various interviewee's has pretty much been the same. Lastly, you are always welcome to suggest future people for interviews, and formulate questions. That is sometimes not an easy task I might addd. Either way I am happy that you are enjoying them.

Author: Guest PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Maybe the questions should be stated so that it doesn't lead the person to answering about programming and tcp/ip, but allows the person to give an opinion about what he/she considers nice.

That being said, few questions for Schneier:

1. In a nutshell, what do you think of the Sony rootkit case?
2. What in your opinion are the biggest threats that will face us online in the near future (like worms, organized crime, and so on)?
3. What is your opinion about staying anonymous online? Is it really possible legally/illegally?

Then a new suggestion for interview: Raven Alder

Author: AmitabhLocation: Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
What sort of interview will it be?
Anyway my question: I want to know about the various patent laws dealing with cryptography and software in general. What is the future?

Specifically, I want his opinion on patents in cryptography. And how to know if I am violating a patent and if I should worry about it? (additionally, is it necessary to obtain a patent and if so how?)

Author: Secure Lockdown PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:
    ----
alt.don wrote:
...what it takes to be a security pro.

In that case, I pull back my initial question about Zimmerman and ask if you can ash Schneier what "he" thinks is the best way to graduate from computer/network support/sys admin work and into a info sec role where he/she is doing only info sec and no more admin/support work anymore.

SL

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
i actually have a different question for mr schneier: i was reading his entry on RFID passports and RFID security and i was wondering how much of security is based on research and how much is based on a priori knowledge?

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject:
    ----
moondoggie wrote:
wow, what a great post to look forward to. i guess i would like to know his take on the sony xcp rootkit phenomenon and whether or not that scheme is ultimately secure enough to actually protect the data

In case you were still interested, Bruce wrote an article about this posted on wired today.

Author: B-ConLocation: int main() PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject:
    ----
Does he forsee the developement of a cryptographically secure hash any time in the near future? And does he anticipate finishing his own hash based on Phelix?

Author: mxb PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
My questions are the following:

1) You have previously suggested holding software developers liable for the security in their products. What is your opinion about free software? Do you think that it will be one single event that causes a hold shift in viewpoint for the entire commercial software industry? What do you think it will be?

2) As privacy seems to be currently eroding away, with the requests for wiretapping VOIP calls, logging of internet usage, and so forth, do you think that eventually the general public will realise and start to demand that privacy back?

3) With the current tactics being employed by the RIAA/MPAA against file sharers, what do you think about the current generation of file sharing networks? Do you think that actions by such corporations are a major driving force behind the research and development of anonymous and encrypted networks?

Cheers,
Martin

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  :||:
Page 1 of 3