OSX/Leap-A

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: [[Merlin]]Location: United Kingdom PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: OSX/Leap-A
    ----
Does anyone have any news on this supposed Mac OS X trojan/virus because I'm reading conflicting reports from different sources. Personally I don't think its much of a problem but I'd be interested in hearing other people's opinions.

This is sopho's description:

"OSX/Leap-A is an instant-messaging worm for the Mac OS X platform. The worm attempts to spread via the iChat instant messaging system, sending itself to available contacts on the infected users' buddy list in a file called latestpics.tgz."

Author: DaisetsuLocation: Arizona PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:
    ----
Leap A is nothing to worry about. All it does is claim to have pictures of the new Leopard OS. This gets people to open the compressed file, which is actually a executable program which has the icon for 'preview'. If you double click on that, AND give it your password then it infects you. Just remember, dont' open strange attachments and you're safe.

Also if you change the system icons to a new theme, these type of attacks fail. Plus there's some realy cool system icon replacements out there.

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:
    ----
yeah, i've only heard of a handful of people who actually got infected, but then i'm sure a slightly larger handful actually got this virus. if you are up to date on your security then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1