SFDC layout

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: SFDC layout
    ----
I have not seen an update for two weeks. Can management provide any update to the many concerns brought up previously.

Regards,

Author: alt.don PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hello Ryan,

Presently there are changes going on in the background to fine tune the site in terms of speed, and in other area's. There really is not a whole lot to report beyond that. Rest assured though that there are other changes as well in the near future which will help out.

Thanks,

Don

Last edited by alt.don on Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks Don, I think it's safe to say that we all appreciate knowing what's going on, even if it's happening in the background.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject:
    ----
I must stress to you that at this time only the visual changes to the site are occurring. There is no change in the content, nor is there any plans to change the content or the policy unless future changes are deemed necessary by the site Staff.

In the near future, there will be software package changes which again will no doubt affect the visual appearance of the site. We suspect we will have much more options for members -- so it is possible that content can be added. However, we've been concentrating on the 'here and now' and are a bit shy to predict great things ahead since we do not have a definite time-line available.

Tom

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi Tom,

On the 2nd of this month you said that visual changes are occuring. I have waited three weeks but don't see any changes. Can you tell us what has been changed? More importantly what is being done to address all the complaints raised previously?

Author: alt.don PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hello Ryan,

The changes mentioned earlier are still ongoing, and are transparent to you as a user. This is being done via code optimization and the such. This is why the pages load faster now, and the such. Beyond that there is little to report. Stay tuned as it were, and don't worry as when there is something of consequence to report to the members we will indeed do so.

Regards,

Don

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for the update Don.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
We've brought in a TechGenix programmer to take a look at the Portal page (Front Page) and see if he can't help solve the horizontal scrolling issue. His time with us is very limited due to other commitments, but hopefully he can give Chris some new directions to try out.

Keep in mind that the Portal page is not stock phpBBS material, but was hacked together over the years ... so it is proving to be quite a challenge for us. We are actively working on it, and are hoping to have it back up as soon as possible.

Tom

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I can understand that. I have had a few hack jobs dumped in my lap and it can prove to be quite the headache. Best of luck getting it resolved.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:
    ----
For those wishing to use the front portal, it can be found here:

http://www.security-forums.com/portal.php

To navigate to the forums, just click on the Security Forums logo ... or an unread topic Smile We are trying to keep the portal page as simple and uncluttered as possible, but we would like to hear your comments and suggestions concerning it.

Chris worked hard to get the Portal in shape, all compliments should be directed toward him.

At this time, we will not be placing it in front of the forums.

Thank you,

Tom

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks Don, Tom, and Chris for working on getting it back up. It is definitely one of the most useful pages on SFDC (considering I don't have time to read all of the posts within the "new posts since last visit" time frame). I will bookmark it and set it as the default page when visiting the site. Also, just a suggestion -- do you think the redundant links could be removed from the bottom of the page (i.e. Articles & Tutorials, Authors, Blogs, etc)? I think it would make the site look less cluttered and cleaner.

Edit: I can't recall, but did the portal have the new icon for new posts (or were new posts differentiated somehow from old posts -- perhaps being a bold thread heading )?

Last edited by PhiBer on Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Tom_Bair wrote:
For those wishing to use the front portal, it can be found here:

http://www.security-forums.com/portal.php

Thanks for that

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject:
    ----
Well PhiBer, we are tasked to use a somewhat universal template which is common to all Techgenix sites ... so our changes to that template are minimal and hard to come by. However, I believe Techgenix has already been made aware of the dislike for the links appearing at both top and bottom of the page, and are discussing it. What they decide affects not only Security Forums, but all sites overall.

Chris would be better able to answer your question concerning the 'new' icon.

Tom

Author: dataLocation: India PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject:
    ----
alt.don wrote:

The changes mentioned earlier are still ongoing, and are transparent to you as a user. This is being done via code optimization and the such. This is why the pages load faster now, and the such.

From what is said here, due to the tweaking of PhpBB over the years, optimizing the code appears to be a tedious task.
I am not saying that its a bad thing but I feel that too much effort is being put in this direction, when things could have been much easier. It gives a feeling that much effort is being channelised in the wrong direction.

Networking/Security Forums -> Comments // Problems etc.

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1