is there a way to test line quality?

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: is there a way to test line quality?
    ----
without calling the isp? an employee is having trouble with vpn at her home and it seems like everytime i have ever called an isp to do a line check it always comes out ok.

Author: Wired PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Her cable / DSL modem may have an internal menu to check this, maybe not. If it's SnR (Sound to Noise Ratio) and the like you're looking for, then the modem and/or ISP are the only ways to go.

Author: christiank PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:
    ----
Wired wrote:
Her cable / DSL modem may have an internal menu to check this, maybe not. If it's SnR (Sound to Noise Ratio) and the like you're looking for, then the modem and/or ISP are the only ways to go.

what kind of vpn issues is she having specifically?

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:
    ----
she can't stay connected to the vpn server for more than 4 minutes at a time. but nobody else who has the same isp has any problems with vpn.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I would start by running a continuous ping. See if and when if times out. The first part of solving any problem is to isolate it.

Author: Dud PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject:
    ----
is it on a bt line?

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject:
    ----
i'm not sure what you mean by a "bt line"?? like, is someone d/l'ing torrents? not on her connection that i am aware of

Author: Wired PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:
    ----
BT = British Telecom

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:
    ----
ah, no. this is in america Smile

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Is it just the VPN that loses connectivity? Have you disabled any firewalls she is running to see if that could be the cause?

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
i'll be testing things out today. will post an update if i find anything later

Author: RFmax PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Just as an aside, the link is to dslreports. That site has several tools that will allow you to test some of these concerns. The whole tool package costs $10 US, but IMO it is worth it for testing line conditions.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1