How do I remove the "remember my password" option?

Networking/Security Forums -> Windows

Author: Gerry101 PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: How do I remove the "remember my password" option?
    ----
Hello folks,

This problem has been giving me headaches! We have 15 laptops that are used by students, which use a single local login. There are 2 shortcuts on the desktop to connect to users' "home" drives and to the "share" drive when the laptop is connected to our network. The problem is that some students tick the "remember my password" box and of course the next student to come along can access the previous user's files. I've been searching for the answer for some time, but haven't come across a solution as yet. I know how to remove the password afterwards, but what I'd like to do is disable it permanently. We use Windows XP.

Any help much appreciated.

Author: GECS PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject:
    ----
This is proberly what you are looking for Remember my password

Author: Gerry101 PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for reply, but it isn't quite what I'm looking for - I'm trying to stop XP from remembering network passwords.

Author: Thebmiz PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Info
    ----
if I am reading your request correctly then this should offer some help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299656

Author: Gerry101 PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks, but I'm afraid that doesn't work either.

Author: Andrew Terry PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hey Gerry

If it's only 15 laptops, I'm guessing they don't logon to a domain? (Might seem like a stupid question but the answer will determine where we go next...)

Cheers

Andrew

Author: Gerry101 PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Sorry for late reply.

No, they don't logon to a domain.

Author: skiddieleetLocation: Texas PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Where is the login information stored. I assume you know if you can remove it. Can't you change the permissions on the location they are stored so that nothing can write to it. I would think that would take care of the issue. Hope this helps.

Author: bs13690 PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Go to

Start
Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Local Security Policy
Security Options

Change "Network access: Do not allow storage of credentials or .net passports for network authentication" to Enabled.

Author: Gerry101 PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks! That's got it.

Author: RogerFLocation: Melbourne PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Stored Passwords
    ----
To check and /or delete any stored network passwords on Windows XP, go to Control Panel, User Accounts.

Click Advanced tab.and then click Manage Passwords.

Author: micro420Location: Berkeley, CA PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject:
    ----
You could also delete the connection and create the same new connection.

Networking/Security Forums -> Windows

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1