Should I encrypt my data / mails

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

Author: securityfanatic PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Should I encrypt my data / mails
    ----
Should I be doing this ?

I dont really have sensitive data apart from my CV but I am paranoid about 'big brother' watching over us Rolling Eyes

Also Ive seen PGP used before, with little signatures on the bottom but how does this work if I wanted to send a mail to a friend for example

Author: M3DU54Location: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject:
    ----
PGP is well documented - for information on using PGP go google around.

PGP relies on 2 'keys' ... a public and a private. These are self explanatory ... the public key is the one you publish widely, the private key you must keep safe from prying eyes.

When you see PGP-Blurb on the bottom of a readable text it is one of two things ... either the writers public key or a signature.

You can add the writers public key to your 'public keyring' and use it to send messages that only he can read.

Signatures, on the other hand, just verify that the preceeding message was written by the author and has not been altered in any way by another party. You can verify that the signature and plaintext message match by using PGP and the supposed authors public key... if the signature fails to match the message it may be that the message is not authentic or has been altered in some way.

but, to do any of this you need PGP software and a tutorial on how to use it... PGP is generaly free (Except for some very pretty GUI-based payware versions) ... but they all do pretty much the same job. So, download a recent free PGP implimentation for your OS and start practicing with it till you understand how to encrypt, decrypt, sign and verify messages.

As I said, googling will find you endless tutorials.

Author: gregcpluk PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I encrypt my data / mails
    ----
See this & other stuff, http://www.ptpencryption.com/EssentialReading.asp to increase paranoia.

Networking/Security Forums -> Cryptographic Theory and Cryptanalysis - Internal and Transmission Security

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1