Transporting backup tapes

Networking/Security Forums -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

Author: InsomniacLocation: Sunny bloody Portugal! PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Transporting backup tapes
    ----
Hey guys, I wonder if someone has the same problem.

I need to transport backup tapes (the LTO type) from one location to another. Since they contain sensitive information, I am looking for a secure solution. I ordered one of these cases from Turtle, but when it arrived I was sorely dissapointed. The locking mechanism on this is a joke - I reckon I could open it in about 30 seconds, and I doubt it's even remotely shock- or fire-proof.

So, without spending a fortune, if anyone has tried, tested or even heard of a solution for securely transporting a maximum of 5 LTO tapes, I would be really interested to hear it.

Many thanks as always, Insom.

Author: NetworkguyLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:
    ----
We ship hundred of tapes per day from our data centers to a remote store.

We load the tapes into a Peli case (normally about 24 tapes in a box) and then send it in a van to the store. The tapes are identified only by a barcode and are normally encrypted (although only basic encryption is used).

This is how protectivly marked data up to confidential is moved in the UK and works fine.

The key here is not about securing the box the tapes are in. It's about shipping in a descrete way. If they are that sensitive and it is obvious to a passer by that you are carrying them then you need to get somebody else to do it for you.

Author: itechsolutionsLocation: Southern California PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
I am not sure if this helps or is in the budget, but check out a place called Iron Mountain, We have used them for a little while, They bring you a box with a pad lock, you put your tapes in there, and they come take them and secure them in there facility.

The link is [url]http://www.ironmountain.com/dataprotection/vault/ [/url]

Networking/Security Forums -> Physical Security and Social Engineering

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1