Using Access 2003 to control Microsoft SQL

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

Author: Bannerd PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Using Access 2003 to control Microsoft SQL
    ----
Hey all,

Our access 03 DB is currently at a point where we cannot create anymore tables or fields in the DB. I was wondering if Access can somehow give our users the same capabilites as far as the front end and create a Database in Microsoft SQL 2005. I have done some googling on the objects and most people say it's possible I have even read a few with people doing it and getting some serious errors.

IS it possible? Or is the transition pain staking?

Author: Uzekena PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject:
    ----
You can connect to the SQL Server 2005 and pull out the Data... Any Question?

Author: Bannerd PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject:
    ----
What about putting the data into the SQL server?

What are my options from migrating from access to a much larger and better SQL server?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject:
    ----
I'm not sure about Microsoft SQL, but MySql has migration tools that are supposed to make migration painless (I have never used them so I can' t say). I would assume that Microsoft has the same sort of tools though.

EDIT: Just found this:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/migration/access/default.mspx

Author: Bannerd PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Nice, is there any other options? I'm not too guru with SQL databases but perhaps there is somthing more simple I could use similar to SQL?

This database is for a very large company and I have a feeling using access was a very poor way to approach it.

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I don't know exactly what your requirements are, but I am assuming that since you are using Access, that you have some needs for a relational database. Sql is pretty much the standard. Are you asking about different providers other than Microsoft?

Author: Bannerd PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Well, I'm just looking for somthing that has a feel for access. Our users have been using access all their lifes and it just makes sense to find somthing similiar. I think our best option to to have one make our database with all the proper tools and forms.

Author: apperraultLocation: Emeryville, CA PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject:
    ----
How are they using access? I mean are they entering data in a form or other types of Wizards? Access can definetly be used as a "Front-End" of a SQL server database, but it would take some re-writing of the UI. Unfortunately, I only have limited DBA experience, so i would not be a whole lot of help. But it can definetly be done.

If you want, contact me offline, and I can see what i can do to help you.

app

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1