Server/Network Monitor advice

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

Author: EQNish PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Server/Network Monitor advice
    ----
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on a decent inexpensive monitoring software package, and was looking for your alls input!

What I need is the ability to monitor custom services/applications and send out alerts via SMTP, I would prefer the app had it's on SMTP source. I would also like this package to be agent based so I can have the agent stop/start services on a system that might have network issues (ir start/stop the networking stack). Finely I would like this to be centraly managed.. ie a server that I can make 90% of the service changes on, and have then proliferate to the work stations/agents (similar to McAfee ePO)...

I'm currnently looking at OpManager, and Servers Alive, but would like input from anyone that may have experiance with other products... I'm not really worried about the bells and whistles, as long as it can do the above Smile

Author: Forgatter PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Server/Network Monitor advice
    ----
EQNish wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on a decent inexpensive monitoring software package, and was looking for your alls input!

What I need is the ability to monitor custom services/applications and send out alerts via SMTP, I would prefer the app had it's on SMTP source. I would also like this package to be agent based so I can have the agent stop/start services on a system that might have network issues (ir start/stop the networking stack). Finely I would like this to be centraly managed.. ie a server that I can make 90% of the service changes on, and have then proliferate to the work stations/agents (similar to McAfee ePO)...

I'm currnently looking at OpManager, and Servers Alive, but would like input from anyone that may have experiance with other products... I'm not really worried about the bells and whistles, as long as it can do the above Smile

Well Advanced Host Monitor has it.
You can try it on, has a trial version.

Author: randomb PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:
    ----
Hi!

I most say ive worked in a larger datacenter, where we used ks-soft.com ( hostmonitor7 ) on +3000 server setup..

where i work now we used open source monitor package: www.zappix.com which is fairly advanced and were we can do the remaining scripting ourerselfs.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject:
    ----
You should have a look at Nagios. I hear good things about it and I think a few people on this board use it. If you want to pay I can recommend Nimbus.

Matt_s

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject:
    ----
matt_s wrote:
You should have a look at Nagios. I hear good things about it and I think a few people on this board use it. If you want to pay I can recommend Nimbus.

+1 for Nagios

I've not long had it installed here and it's just fantastic! Initially it was setup for just monitoring servers and such things as load, disc space, service states, process starts etc and to send out alert when criteria are met. At this point alone it proved to be very handy.

Since then we've expanded to cover firewalls, network switches, UPS devices, printers, routers .... the list keeps growing! Smile

It does take a bit of fiddling to get it going especially if you're not used to linux but beyond that the world is your mollusc. Smile we're looking to add performance monitoring and graphing next as well as snmp monitoring of routers and firewall policies. As a nice touch we're also going to add sms alerts for those critical alerts that need to be dealt with asap. You can literally just keep going and going with Nagios by bolting bits on and writing scripts Smile

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I've used what'sup in the past (simple & easy), Nagios (good all around) and currently am using Cacti. They all do what you want. Nagios seemed the most robust of everything I've tried. I really like how much I can customize with Cacti, but it took a few weeks to get it working properly.

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1