Questions about securing SQL server

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

Author: jtang PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Questions about securing SQL server
    ----
Hello Everyone,

I have read a lot about how to secure MS SQL server in various ways but need some guidances.

I have beening working for a client who has MS SQL database running a managment application in production. The old setup wasn't ideal because the SQL server was also running IIS and web application. Since the client had decided to reconstruct the domain and acquired a new SBS 2003 server, I recommended to make the SQL server as a stand alone server in a workgroup. Everything was fine to this point. One problem for this was that the client application requires a shared network on the SQL server so that the client application can to push files to this network share. I don't feel comfortable to join the SQL server to the new SBS domain; however, I've read about not using the local sysetm account for SQL Server and Agent services. Would they better off leaving the SQL server in a workgroup like it is not or would it be more secure to make it a memeber server, and both services running under a doamin user account? My thoughts were that even if the SQL was comprimised, it wouldn't gained any access to the domain.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jun

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1