Online AV scanners

Networking/Security Forums -> Viruses // Worms

Author: Ipsec Espah PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Online AV scanners
    ----
Hey guys, I just wanted to double check and confirm something before I possibly ruin my computer. Is it ok to use onlie AV software such as Kaspersky's Free Online Scan while you have another AV vendors software installed such as Nod32, Norton, or whatever. I know installing 2 AV software programs like Kaspersky and Nod32 on your PC can really mess it up, but I'm not sure about installing software and using an Online ActiveX software.

Actually another thing. Since it's so common for attackers to disable AV software that's intalled on computers, that makes it even better to use free online scans every once in a while, correct?

Author: SifuMikeLocation: Vancouver (not BC) WA (not DC) PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
The Kaspersky Online Scanner may not run successfully while any other Anti-Virus software is running.

BTW, Kaspersky Online Scanner does not remove any malware. It produces a report of what it found, then you have to manually remove what it found.

Since you have Anti-Virus software installed, please
temporarily disable your AV protection before running the Kaspersky Online Scanner. Reenable it after the scan is finished.

Quote:
Actually another thing. Since it's so common for attackers to disable AV software that's intalled on computers, that makes it even better to use free online scans every once in a while, correct?

Yes, it is a good ideas to run one every so often. It may find viruses that your regular AV missed.
You should be able to easily tell if your AV is disabled or not working.
The icon on the system tray will show if it is working, and the updates should work.
One of the free online AV scanners (like Kaspersky, Bit Defender, Panda, TrendMicro Housecall, Symantec, eTrust Antivirus, McAffee) make a good choice as a backup to your regular AV.

Author: Ipsec Espah PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Good stuff, thanks for your help SifuMike!

Networking/Security Forums -> Viruses // Worms

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1