What is the best way to generate custom reports from Excel

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

Author: ATS PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: What is the best way to generate custom reports from Excel
    ----
I have data in an application that I can export to .csv. Each day the data changes, and I need to run a report on each day's data.

The situation isn't exactly this, but this is the best analogy that I can create (the real situation is difficult to explain): the data reflects the statistics of a helpdesk. I want to generate reports on how many tickets were opened by date, how many were closed by date, how many possess a status of "x", how many have status "y", etc.

Since I am taking the data from Excel, I am currently just running filters and copying/pasting into a report worksheet, but this is far too manual. I want to automate the process as much as possible.

What do you all think is the best way of doing this? Pivot tables? VB app? Something else?

I don't want to use Crystal primarily because of the cost. Additionally, I would like to develop something from 'scratch' for the experience.

Thanks for the help.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Pivot Tables, almost certainly.

I can highly recommend "Pivot Table Data Crunching" by Bill Jelen (www.mrexcel.com). I currently have the version for Excel 2007, but I'm pretty sure there were previous ones too. This book takes a really good real-world view of using Excel Pivot Tables to get complex jobs done easily.

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1