NSLookup question

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: lapolla PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: NSLookup question
    ----
Im my organizaton the external address of the exchange server is nated behind a pix and the external records of my services (mx) are managed by our isp. When i perform a lookup for the mx record from inside the lan using my ispīs dns, the answer is the internal nated address of the server. Did i received that response because iīm querying from inside the lan or the dns should have responded with the external address? Then in the lookup console i changed to another isp dns and made the same query after flushing the dns cache, the non-authoritative response was the internal ip address again. Why didnīt i receive the external address this time? Then i performed the query from a computer outside the lan and the response was the external address. Thanks,

Juan Manuel

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
does the external MX record point directly to an IP, or does it point to a CNAME which your machine would then also try to resolve to get to an IP (I think)?

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1