Can't gt rid of RemindU

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

Author: mezzy PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Can't gt rid of RemindU
    ----
I have uninstalled RemindU but can't seem to get rid of it all. No matter what I do, the "right-click" menu in IE always comes up with a "RemindU" option in it. I've done Add/Remove Programs and I've used CCleaner but it's still there. Please help!

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Is the application uninstalled and just showing up in the add/remove programs, or is it still installed?

Author: mezzy PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It does not show up in add/remove programs. I've uninstalled it already. They only place it shows up is when I right-click, it's one of the options in the menu.

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject:
    ----
Quote:
Remove annoying or non-useful programs from right click menu

Please only do this if you are comfortable with editing the registry. Breaking the registry can crash your whole system.

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type in regedit and click ENTER
4. Browse to the following:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

(This is where programs attach to the right click menu.)
5. You simply delete or export then delete the keys you do not want.

Make sure you back up your registry first.

Author: mezzy PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject:
    ----
I did what you said and went through the registry to ContextMenuHandlers. However, I don't see anything in there that references RemindU or Upromise. Here is what I get:

BriefcaseMenu
Offline Files
Open With
Open With EncryptionMenu
WinRAR
WinZip

There are also two entires with a whole bunch or random numbers and letters.

Author: mezzy PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject:
    ----
I did a registry search and found a reference to RemindU. Here is the path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{2863ACA1-9AA0-4432-8CFE-88C12B3B2E5E}

There is an entry in there that says "Button Text" (under name) and "RemindU" (under data).

Should I remove that?

Author: mezzy PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject:
    ----
Now that I look further, inside that same string, there is also an entry for "Hot Icon", "Icon", and "Scrpit". Under Data it gives a path to a file that is no longer there (C:\ProgramFiles\Upromise_RemindU\Sy1050\Images\....)

Any ideas?

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Delete the key.

Author: nicnbill PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: upromise remindu
    ----
None of my registry cleaners are able to effectively delete or disable the upromise remindu application. I uninstalled the program a year ago, can't remember how I did it tho.

StartupMonitor:
"The program UpromiseRimindU has registered the executable "C:\Program Files\Upromise_Remind_U to run at system startup. Do you wish to allow this change? Yes/No

Clicking no just resets the alert. Endless cycle

CCleaner:
PROBLEM - ActiveX/COM Issue
DATA - InProcServer32\C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9d.ocx
REGISTRY KEY - HKCR\CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}

PROBLEM - Missing Startup Software
DATA - "C:\Program Files\Upromise_Remind_U
REGISTRY KEY - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Following that path and deleting the upromise entry is ineffective.

SpyBot, Malwarebytes, Norton are all reporting no problems.
I tried RegistryBooster, Revo Uninstaller, Quick Startup, Ace Utilities, Abexo, something with a dog logo and probably a few others....

Can anybody help me get rid of this and correct the activex/com issue with macromedia?

Networking/Security Forums -> General Software

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1