SATA drive has decided to die

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: geeksquadof1Location: Behind you...watching PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: SATA drive has decided to die
    ----
I really need the data off of it, and there are no backups that I know of. It was the C: drive on our church's file server (we're planning on moving to a NAS), and I'd like to know if there's a way to get anything out of it. It's not spinning up at all, and due to that, it's not getting read. Is it possible that it's just a spindle failure and not a disk corruption?

Thanks

Author: YepremLocation: Montreal, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:29 am    Post subject:
    ----
If the disk is not spinning up, like you said it could just be a motor issue, it can also be a motherboard issue. The easiest thing to try, is to buy an identical hard drive if available and carefully swap the circuit board on the back of the drive.

The other option, and usually pretty expensive, is to contact a company like Ontrack who can open the drive in a dust free environment and read the data off the disks. They eill charge depending on the amount of data recovered.

Author: RoboGeekLocation: LeRoy, IL PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
swapping boards rarely works nowadays since drives are 'hyperformatted' at the factory. There are 2 parts of the firmware for the drive - one is a chip on the board and the 2nd is track 0 where some of the drive specific info is stored. At the factory the drive is put into a low level formatting mode that writes servo tracks, acoustic info, temperature stuff, P & G lists, etc that are specific to each drive to track 0 and the firmware on the board.

The 2 parts of the firmware work together and if you swap a board the boards, the firmware will go crazy trying to find the matching data. It usually doesn't so it attempts to read it for a bit, gives a couple clicks and sometimes spins down.

It can be a bad motor too - the bearing will sieze, or if its been dragging it can burn out the controllers on the board.

Data recoveries are usually in the range of $850 - $2500. Stay far away from the $300 - $600 flat fee ones. They are a scam

Author: geeksquadof1Location: Behind you...watching PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Okay, this is a bit belated, but I wanted to just give an update.

The main reason that we wanted the drive back was because the Registry on that disk had the folder permissions for the file server. We wound up getting a NAS box that allowed us to set permissions, and were able to use a number of different sources to recover the majority of the files on the server data drives themselves. Just wanted to say thanks to you two. I appreciate the time you took to reply.

Author: icemanxLocation: World Wide PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: retrieving files from a hard drive!
    ----
There are a number of ways also to retrieve (have done this for clients)

there is software that you can use Getbackdata (very good)

also there is a PDF that has 200 ways to retrieve data from a crashed hard drive out there

I have the pdf so if anyone wants a copy just ask

been in the IT industry for many years..

have a nice day all hope that helps

PS had to add search in Google and use this to search "200 ways to retrieve a Hard drive"
its all there to download

Last edited by icemanx on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Author: ashu.wifiLocation: Heaven PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi

ITS about to die. Do onething attach this drive on the other pc and as an secondary drive if that spins then You must use photorec its open source free and very much effective not easy to use for beginners though iam giving you an link where you will find an video tutorial about using it and also link to download it.I formatted my usb-stick to test this and it recovered the data even after formatting isn't that is great?

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/data-carving-with-photorec-to-retrieve-deleted-files-from-formatted-drives-for-forensics-and-disaster-recovery

Also try to change/use different power connector and also try different slot but i would say use an different PC would be the best idea.i had the problem with my old ide drive i use it as an secondary drive and its working fine

i hope this is informative for you Smile.And do share with us when you fix this hectic problem Very Happy

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1