MCSE or CCNA?

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

Author: marry PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: MCSE or CCNA?
    ----
Hello to everyone!
I would like to study for MCSE or CCNA. Could anyone advise me on what should I choose? I mean which is the most valued certification on the market?

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It all depends on where you're heading with your career really. If you're going for a networking role where Cisco is the kit in use then the Cisco course will definitely help out more than the Microsoft one. If, however you're going for a support role then you will have a wide scope of options having the Microsoft course under your belt.

Author: hnprabhuLocation: Mumbai, India PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I suggest, you talk to people where you are currently located . The market demand will vary . Both of these skills are in demand

prabhu

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
IMHO, determine what field you are most passionate about and study and get certified in that area. Really enjoying what you do will help you be good in whatever field you pursue.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I would suggest that you study both but pursue one initially. More jobs might be available with the MCSE, but higher paying jobs might be available with the CCNA.

MCSE is obviously more vendor based, whereas the CCNA might cover a broader range of networking topics.

Ultimately, if you want to climb up the ladder in networking/security, you will have to know topics from both the MCSE and the CCNA.

Good luck!

P.S. Don't forget that often times, experience triumphs book knowledge. Get yourself into an internship or a job where you can get your hands wet and dirty.

Author: marry PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thank you for your kind suggestions.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject:
    ----
PhiBer wrote:
Get yourself into an internship or a job where you can get your hands wet and dirty.

Wouldn't that be get your feet wet and your hands dirty? Smile

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Tom Bair wrote:
PhiBer wrote:
Get yourself into an internship or a job where you can get your hands wet and dirty.

Wouldn't that be get your feet wet and your hands dirty? Smile
sounds like our basement server room that had an AC unit decide to become a power shower for one of the server racks! Shocked

I do like the idea behind people doing internships etc but do they really still exist in the modern world?! I'd love to take someone on here like that to introduce into the industry .... and pass on some of the more basic but distracting tasks Wink

Networking/Security Forums -> General Security Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1