unable to get youtube on mac and pc

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: mernith PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: unable to get youtube on mac and pc
    ----
I have been unable to get youtube on my iMacG5 and my windows laptop for about a week and a half now. We were getting youtube just fine. Please help me fix it.
Thankyou in advance,
Mernith

Author: larsmhansenLocation: Boston, MA, USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject:
    ----
At home or at work?

Author: mernith PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Can't get YouTube at home
    ----
It's weird, we were getting YOuTube just fine and in the last week and a half, nothing. I have been trying to catch up thru forums, etc on what to do. One suggestion was that i needed flash player,but I can't even get to flash player sites to download one. I have a G4 and a G5 Mac. G4 is hard wired to a router and using airport for the G5. Neither computer will get You Tube now. Also have a Windows laptop wireless and it is doing the same thing. Sounds like something to do with the router maybe. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for replying! Mernith

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It sounds like this is a home network. By default most home routers wont block access to any web sites, unless of course you have set this up. To test this, bypass your router and connect one of your computers directly to your modem and see if you can access the sites that you can't get to now.

Author: mernith PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject:
    ----
ryansutton wrote:
It sounds like this is a home network. By default most home routers wont block access to any web sites, unless of course you have set this up. To test this, bypass your router and connect one of your computers directly to your modem and see if you can access the sites that you can't get to now.

Thanks Ryan, I had a DUH!!!! moment when I realized that the router was the one thing they all had in common. I still don't know how to fix the problem and would love any suggestions. Thanks, Mernith

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject:
    ----
mernith wrote:
I still don't know how to fix the problem and would love any suggestions.

As I stated above, try and connect one of your computers directly to your modem and see if you can access the sites you cannot get to now.

Cheers,
Ryan

Author: mernith PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject:
    ----
[quote="ryansutton"]
mernith wrote:
I still don't know how to fix the problem and would love any suggestions.

As I stated above, try and connect one of your computers directly to your modem and see if you can access the sites you cannot get to now.

Cheers,
Ryan[

/quote]I'm sorry I thought I had said that i did bypass the router and connected computer to modem. It worked great. No problem getting youtube
at all. Now What? Thanks again, Mernith

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject:
    ----
mernith wrote:
I'm sorry I thought I had said that i did bypass the router and connected computer to modem. It worked great. No problem getting youtube
at all. Now What? Thanks again, Mernith

Great! It seems you have isolated the problem to something with your router.

What you should do now is log in to your router and check the security settings. If you can't find what is blocking the video, you could always restore the router to it's default settings. If you do this you may need to configure you ISP settings within the router and anything else you previously setup. Let us know if that works for you.

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1