Going Green ...

Networking/Security Forums -> General Chat

Author: MadCowLocation: Toronto PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Going Green ...
    ----
Hi:

Our company has launched a Going Green Campaign ... and they are looking for ideas from their employees on how can we save the planet and envoirenment and how will their idea impact over all?????? They have announced an award for the best idea having a good impact ....

So here we are ... I need your assistance to win this award.

I have few thoughts in my mind .....

- Allow those people who can work from home (ME Razz ) - This way we can avoid pollution though a small contribution but it makes some impact. There are lots of people who can work from home in our company.

- Give away monthly bus passes to their employees so they can be encouraged to car pool. This will help reduce traffic and pollution.

- Encourage all the employees to put small plants on their desk and look after them. Few people already have them.

- Use Softwares which filter those last lines (weblinks and garbage) on the last printed page when we print to over network printers. By the end of the day I see about 25 pages sitting there just alone in out IT dept. That saves paper/tree.

Please share your ideas and impact it can have.

Help me WIN Cool ! and keep the planet healthy.

Thank you.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I have my own opinions on the whole 'Going Green' ordeal (e.g. The negation of our futile attempts by countries such as China and India, the highly politicized aspect of 'Global Warming', the imminent-threat fear-mongering, etc), but anyhow, what I have seen some companies do is attach a "Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail" type of signature in green. Perhaps you can do that as well. Wink

Author: larsmhansenLocation: Boston, MA, USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Using a good power scheme on your computer can cut down power consumption by nearly 50% per computer (measured against a "always on" power scheme). Standard YMMV disclaimer applies. Savings does depend on how good your computer does handle various power saving features and which sleep modes are supported by the computers.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
If your company works 5 8 hour days, convince them to go to a 4 10 hour days instead. That would be one less day of forcing their employee's to drive/commute to work while polluting the air. It would also save on energy resources at the office/plant for that day.

Anything we do now is not going to put a dent into the global warming problem. What it will do is start to train us to think, act, and live correctly in the future. It would be much less harsh on our lifestyles if we willingly did it now, instead of being forced to do it later.

Here in the State of Oregon, we are already planning for an influx of 'weather refugees' from states such as Florida, California, New Mexico, Arizona, and such. We are already seeing Florida refugees trickling into the state of Oregon escaping the worsening hurricanes taking place there.

Author: kisezr00kLocation: McEwen, TN PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Going green
    ----
Do you guys recycle your waste? Paper, bottles, plastics, cardboard, aluminum cans, ink cartridges? These are all great ways to recycle.

Author: RoboGeekLocation: LeRoy, IL PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject:
    ----
Show the company how to save millions by disproving the effects of CO2 on global warming.

Trees are crops. You don't see 'save the corn' campaigns anywhere do ya?

Small plants on the desk? Must be pot plants

Buses really save the planet - I think that every time I see one cruising around empty. People don't and won't ride buses or trains

Wanna save the planet? Do a little research - and I don't mean read blogs. Read real research, especially planetary astrophysics where people actually study the effects of gases on planets - then stop the environazi's from destroying life as we know it

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
upgrade all windows servers to 2008R2

this not only keeps you busy for a while, but the power use is way better than previous versions, especially at low loads (eg the 50-70% of the week that is "out of hours" and the server is just idling along). Core parking means that whole cores of a multi-processor machine get shut down when not needed.

turn the server room aircon up by one degree.

turn the office air con down by one degree.

Author: hnprabhuLocation: Mumbai, India PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thomas Friedman has written a good book on this subject - Hot , Flat and crowded world. He has discussed fundamental on this subject .

I recommend, you read this . It will give you a host of ideas and most importantly a vision about "going green"

regards
Prabhu

Author: Survey PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject:
    ----
This topic is really important for every body in the world. Now a days global warming create many bad effects on the atmosphere. So every body have to take part in green living.

Author: PhiBerLocation: Your MBR PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Survey wrote:
This topic is really important for every body in the world. Now a days global warming create many bad effects on the atmosphere. So every body have to take part in green living.

LOL, and should everyone take part in the U.N. usurping money for their "green" initiatives?

Networking/Security Forums -> General Chat

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1