Unknown adware.

Networking/Security Forums -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

Author: Trice PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Unknown adware.
    ----
I came across an interesting bit of adware recently on a relatives PC while trying to fix it for them. IT was the cause of all the problems. But have been trying to do more research on it. In my eyes it was a very clever piece of sofware. So just wanted to know more about it ie the name of it.

Anyway. what it did was once installed (somehow) it basically took over your web browsers. (i installed firefox while fixing the issue and it auto took over that too some how), when searching for a known anti virus, it opened a new tab and took you to one of their sites. ie. i searched for AVG. a tab opened up and took me to:

h**p://0fficial-page.com/AVG/

It would deny me access to the real page etc. I got around it by going directly to download.com and getting Avast from there. But still had issues. had to do a boot scan.. Anyway. has anyone else come across this? and any more details on it? A quick google search came up with:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/655/1049655/malware-spoofs-avg-web-site

But nothing else on it Sad

Moderator note: mangled malicious URL to protect the innocent - capi

Networking/Security Forums -> Spyware // Adware // Trojans Discussion

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1